How long does frozen meat stay good?

Is it still good past the expiration date if it's been frozen the whole time? If so, how long does it stay good?

A friend and I were talking about it and neither of us really knew.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Meat is safe to eat practically forever once it's frozen, but anything after 6 months (in store wrap) to a year (wrapped in heavier material) will probably get freezer burn. I've had poultry that was in the freezer for a year and beef that was in the freezer for 3 years, we just shaved the burned part off and roasted it with plenty of seasonings.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes, if you freeze by the date on the package you are fine. When we buy meat I always repackage it myself into the portions we need so that I don't thaw more than we use. It's a common rule to use it within six months, but like PP said, it can last much longer. For the longest possible life use a deep freeze - it gets colder and you are not in and out of it as much so it keeps the cold in better too.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• General rule is 6 months.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes, its still good if it was frozen b4 that date. i think you are only supposed to keep meat in the freezer for 3 months but people leave it in longer and are fine
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If it is raw meat and wrapped really well, frozen meat is generally good for use up to 6 months, but technically, as long as there isn't any freezer burn on it, you can use it when it's even older.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• if it was frozen before the expiration date it is good for a yr when it is beef and poultry is good for 6 months
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• We buy beef once a year (whole steer from the farmer, processed by the local locker). Our meat is just as good on day 365 as it is on day 1. We've had meat last more than a year before - without a problem. DH hunts every fall to stretch out our meat - we've had deer meat in our freezer for 3 years before that was still good. As for prepackaged, dated stuff, as long as it's frozen before the use by date and the packaging isn't damaged, leaving it air-tight, it's good almost indefinitely (I've forgotten about stuff in the past, we've eaten hot dogs, bacon, stuff like that, 2 years past the use-by date).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2010