HELP! We don't know what's wrong!

My 1 year old developed a fever of 101.1 suddenly last night. Didn't sleep well, woke up frequently fussing. This morning, fever was down to 100.8 but he was still fussy and tired, so I took him to the urgent care center (his dr. is out of town) to make sure he didn't have another ear infection. No ear infection and dr. ordered a chest xray, rapid strep test, and catheter check for urinalysis. Xray and step test were normal. Nurses were unable to get any urine to check for bladder infection. That was at 5pm today. Since then, my son has not urinated. He also has not pooped today...which usually goes at least 2 times a day. Suddenly a few hours ago, he started screaming and crying and grabbing his penis area and pulling his legs towards him. Randomly throughtout the evening he was doing this. I called his dr. and she said to take him to the ER if he hadn't peed within an hour. Well 2 hours passed and still nothing but cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How has he been eating/drinking today? The catheter could have hurt him and that might be causing him to not pee, but I would definitely get him to the hospital as soon as he starts showing any signs of discomfort again. I'd be at his side for the next couple hours, making sure he was as comfortable as possible. The fact that he hasn't peed in that amount of time is very, very worrisome. He needs to start peeing ASAP.

Good luck mama, I hope he's feeling better soon.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• OK if the doc said to take him to the ER if he hasn't peed in an hour, WTH are you doing at home, on Cafemom, 2 hours later? Take the poor kid to the ER already! he could have a kidney infection.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sounds like he is dehydrated if he is not peeing/pooping or taking any liquids at all. Why are you putting off care? Take him to the ER....
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• he fell asleep fairly easily, has no fever, and is still sleeping now. The ER in my town is not a good one and I don't want them to torture him for nothing. What do you think is wrong?! Is he just in pain from the catheter and doesn't want to pee? I know you ladies aren't drs but I just want opinions please.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• He hasn't peed so get him to the ER. Or, stop playing on the computer.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I had a catheter once and it hurt so bad to pee after. Maybe it's that, but if he has not peed all day he needs to be seen regardless of the hospital and if he is sleeping.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• He hasn't peed since 5pm? Go to the hospital please!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• 0.0
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It could be pain from the catheter. But, it's a good idea to get him checked out. The earlier they catch what ever is wrong the faster (and quicker) they can fix it and your son will stop being in pain.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• really now. get to the ER. i feel for you. you dont think they are very good. i understand unnecessary testing and the distain but yea. that kid needs to go now
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2010