When should I wash my hair before getting my hair highlighted or colored?

Several years ago a hairstylist told me you shouldn't wash your hair for two days before getting it highlighted or colored. She said the color absorbs better on dirty hair. Is there any truth to this or can I wash my hair the day before? I hate showing up at the salon with dirty greasy hair.

chocaholic888

Asked by chocaholic888 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• well it depends on your hair.. we don't want to apply it to dirty hair, because it takes longer to cut through greasy build up and products (and products CAN affect the outcome of the color)..

BUT we don't want to apply to freshly washed hair because it can be more damaging.. and is also harder to penetrate..

so you need to find a middle ground.. example: if your hair is typically greasy.. you'll want to wash it about 10 hours in advance, NO styling products..

if it is typically dry.. about 24-48 hours is fine.. (again NO styling products)

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I usually wash my hair 24 hours before dying my hair
    CherryAddict

Answer by CherryAddict at 10:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• When you color your hair at home, the box instructions say NOT to wash your hair the same day you color. I think 24 hours is good. You want time for the oils on your scalp to come back after the washing. They help protect your hair and scalp during the color process. So, you want your hair dirty enough to protect it, but free of products like hairspray, gel, mousse etc. which may interfere with coloring. I hope this is helpful for you!
    MomBomb3

Answer by MomBomb3 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've always heard 2 days if your hair isn't greasy and one if it is. Mainly because putting the stuff on freshly washed hair can irritate the scalp from the scrubbing.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i always wash it in the morning the day before. a little bit more than 24 hrs
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I wash my hair the morning before a color. I won't go in with dirty hair, despite the fact that they wash your hair for you. My stylist has never said anything to me about not doing so.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010