Gay only camp grounds...who knew?

So how hard is it being gay in this society that total gay camp grounds are necessary? Is society so harsh that gay people need buy, own and operate a gay only campgrounds just to have a place to feel safe?

As I try and book camping on the Russian River I find a few gay only...some men only camp parks. Isn't camping a "like minded" activity? I just want to say~sex happens at KOA too...can't we all camp together?

surfcitymom

Asked by surfcitymom at 11:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't care they should be able to have a club to themselves if that is what they want. I'm all for people having ONLY clubs of any kind as long as it's not about violence against other people.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• it's a marketing ploy, and a successful one.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i dont blame gay people for wanting a gay only camp site.
    i think it is tough for them in this society. theres alot of people who are not accepting of gay people. people act disgusted and offended at the site of gay people and are not always nice to them.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No!!!! It is all about money. The owners of any business that are "gay only" know that they will make huge profits from these ventures. It isn't segregation. These arrangements get people out of the public eye and allows for them to behave as they wish. But, it is all about the money and nothing about "having to hide".
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I guess it would all depend on why they opened a gay only campground. If it's because they don't feel safe at other campgrounds then that is a real shame. If it's because they feel like they aren't being watched and they can just 'be', then good for them. Or perhaps they are just taking an idea and running with it knowing that there is a demand for it and they can capitalize off of doing something they love and providing a service to couples / families with the same lifestyles.

I wish them success in their business venture.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Do you blame them?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sounds a bit like they are modeling after Nudist camps. Ya know, if they just went about their business, most people would never know, or care, that they were gay. Maybe they opened these camps out of fear of discrimination but somehow I doubt it and in a way, they are then discriminating against everyone else. I'd be willing to bet that if anyone opened a hetero-only camp ground, the activists would be on top of them pretty fast. It just comes down to discrimination going both ways. On the other hand, there are Nudist camps and I really don't think anyone who is not a nudist would even want to be at one....so they have their own camps...if gays' want their own camp...fine, at least they won't be faced with some jerk making things an issue and spoiling everyone's vacation.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Why would this bother you really? The Gay community has come a long ways but they still arent the most excepted group in society. There are men and women only clubs..........why not gay only clubs?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• In all my years of camping, I never noticed any sexual orientation things about my neighboring campers...I'm sort of surprised that's anything anyone thinks about.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• hmmm who knew..... I agree!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2010