Has anybody heard of or experienced a Hand Mouth and Foot Disease Breakout?

My 2 yr old daughter was directly exposed to this disease. She had a recent play date with a friend of mine's little boy who had been exposed by his cousins earlier that week. His cousins had had it in mid July, he visited them in early August and played with my daughter in early August also. When he and she had contact he had no symptoms. She contacted me today to tell me he is now sick with it. The info I read online says it's pretty common in children under 10. Very easily spread by saliva, mucus, etc. It happens mostly during the summer months. Symtoms are fever, loss of appetite, vomiting, and finally red sores or blisters around the mouth , feet and hands. It can be dormant in the system for weeks after symptoms are gone. I am praying she does not have this!! Anyone heard of any outbreaks of this? My friend said her Dr. told her this summer has been the worst he's seen in years!!

MomBomb3

Asked by MomBomb3 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yep worked in a daycare about 6 yrs ago and lots of kids got it. It is really not the worst thing they can get though.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yup its pretty common in kids. Neither of my kids ever had it when exposed to it but i know plenty of others that have. Good luck. I
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Both of my kids had this last year. My daughter was almost five at the time, and her fever got up to 105. Poor thing had open sores in her throat so it hurt to swallow. My son was not quite one when he got it, and it was pretty much the same for him. I don't remember seeing sores on their hands and feet - just in their throats. The doctor said that not all kids get the sores on their hands and feet. It's a virus, so if that is what your child has, all you can do is keep them comfortable and try not to let the fever get too high. You should still take your child to the doctor to be checked out, though, just to make sure it's not something like strep that would require antibiotics. I hope your LO doesn't get it. It is miserable!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've heard of it but haven't had to deal with it. I hope your daughter gets better! Good Luck!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• no i haven't heard of it. thanks for the info though.. it's good to know this. i hope your daughter gets better. my daughter has a few red spots that turn into bumps on her elbows. not sure what they are just thought it might be heat rash. i should look a little deeper into it. if anyone has any idea..please share. thanks
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:55 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes, it is very common; it is caused by the coxsackie virus that passes quite easily from one individual to another.

My son had it when he was 4; it was a fairly mild case. The only symptom for him was a few blisters in his mouth; he wouldn't eat ketchup because it was acidic and it irritated the sores. It cleared up quickly but he wouldn't eat ketchup for several years afterwards because he associated the ketchup with the pain.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yep, my son has had it once or twice. It really wasn't too bad for him, but I guess other kids can get much worse symptoms.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I had it in Jr higg it was friggin awful, it lasted like two weeks, my mom sent me to school and nobody else got it.
    Well also spring my son had sores on his hands, feet and on his tounge,(started wed night) the er nurse said it was hand, foot and mouth disease, and to keep him home for two weeks, and it three days all the sores were gone and he was back in school in monday. And no one else got it that time either.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son got it at summer camp one year when he was about 12. Another camper's little brother brought it home from daycare and was nice enough to share it with his brother, who then shared it with the summer camp. Luckily, my son had a fairly mild case of it and his blisters were limited to a few in this mouth and on his hands, which went away within a week. Thankfully, neither my husband nor I caught it from him. Our pediatrician, however, had a nasty case of it taht he caught from another patient a few weeks before (told me he lost 30 lbs b/c he couldn't eat until the blisters in his mouth healed).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think it tends to be worse the older the kids are (like with Chickenpox). Usually, though, this is a very mild virus. In my opinion, it's best to get it while young--just to get it over with and with the milder of symptoms.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010