At what age do you introduce eating utensiles?

I work at a Head Start and I need to know how this question relates to the development of a childs motor skills?

Cleaver

Asked by Cleaver at 7:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD started using a spoon & plastic fork at a year old.
    Anonymous

• I gave my kids utensils as soon as they insisted on feeding themselves. (That usually happened around 9 months or so). They pick it up really fast, especially if they have modeling in the form of other kids, etc.
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I gave mine utensils when they started wanting to feed themselves, and they just got the hang of it eventually
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• As soon as they want to use them give them to them. It'll be messy for a while but they'll get the hang of it.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The sooner the better! Even if they arent feeding themselves, give it to them to hold when you are feeding them. It is so good for fine motor skills!!! They pick up on holding it to feed themselves better if they are already accustomed to it.
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• does anyone know how thiw relates to their fine and gross motor skills?
    Cleaver

Answer by Cleaver at 6:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2008