Constipated?

OK my sister has been really Constipated she say's that when she goes to the bathroom #2 to be specific; She start bleeding and she is in pain. So my question is what is a good medication, fruit, or drink that can help her out? Yes she has talk to the doctor and they just tell her to drink lot's of whater~!!!!!

elisabellaguna

Asked by elisabellaguna at 11:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Health

• stay away from apple juice and anything with PECTIN in it...pectin is a binder and holds stools together...miralax is great but you do not want your body to depend on it, you need to increase fiber..".Fiberone" brand foods are good and staying away from dairy is best. My son and oldest daughter have major issues and so I do alot of cooking and baking with, Benefiber and also mix it in with orange juice my 5 yr old can never tell the difference! which is great because he gets so backed up he walks funny. grape juices are good and so is prune but do increase water amounts..should be drinking 2 quarts a day. Also one thing that really helps to is the V8 Splash drinks...and add 1/4 cup of benefiber to brownie mix and it actually tastes better!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Miralax is wonderful. It is a powder that you put in the drink and it doesn't taste horrible. It works really quickly too.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Tell her to eat a lot of fruit, things with fiber, fruit juice and if all else fails then def miralax!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Also find recipes with refried beand or any beans...broccoli and leafy greens have alot of fiber in them so a salad with a variety of greens and rinsed canned beans, any kind really, a good non dairy dressing with some other veggies would be wonderful for her diet. also stay away from starch, like pasta unless it is whole wheat. what is good too is getting a good whole wheat bagel w/peanut butter on it, peanut butter is very good so is popcorn. whole wheat tortilla with refried beans and some salsa, rollup and microwave for 30 seconds at a time til hot.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I just want to add that too many eggs are a bad thing- my son deals with this issue and we cut down how many eggs he eats (I found this on some website when I was trying to find out how to help him) I would have never thogught of it but it did help- he was eating a lot of them last summer and had major issues
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• more fibre and water.
    if you increase fibre, you need more water or you can make it worse.

or try a stool softener. you can get them OTC.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 11:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree with what everyone else has said. Plus Planters (the nut company) makes a digestive health blend that tastes so good and works really well, too.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010