What happens if I do not register a car?

I gave a car to a family member in need, but I had lost the title. We never ended up getting a new title to switch the name over. So my question is, if the family member I sold it to cannot register because its still in my name, what will happen to me? Will I get fined or something worse for letting my renewel lapse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If they get any tickets, you'll be responsible for them, since it's still YOUR car. They just need to take a receipt (write or type one up, both sign it), and take it to the dmv and request a new title. It usually has a small fee, but not a big deal. I would NOT recommend letting them keep it in YOUR name or with YOUR license plates on it.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• They should not have the car until this is taken care of. If they drove the car and were in an accident with injuries you could be in big legal trouble.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• They could get arrested, too, if they are suspected of stealing the car.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You'll get a ticket. This is something you need to take care of.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Pending on what state you live in depends on what will happen. I live in California and here if you do not register your car you are looking at a fine (a pricey one at that) and possible for it to be impounded...
    katonthego73

Answer by katonthego73 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If they get pulled over with expired registration, the car can be impounded but even if it's not you'll get a ticket and will be responsible for the fine (which is hundreds of $$) since the car is still in your name.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• And if the car remains in your name, even if they get pulled over for speeding or running a red light or something, you'll then be responsible for THAT fine, plus the fine for the expired registration.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If you don't register your car you (or anyone else for that matter) shouldn't be driving it. Depending on your state you may need a PNO license which states the car is inoperable or not used.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If it is NOT registered, you cannot drive it on public streets.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• you or anybody else can not drive that car on public streets. you can go to your local car registration office and ask for a lost title check to find the title so the people you sold the car to can register it in their name and no one gets into trouble by driving a nonregistered car.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010