I have a pre-teen with ASPERGERS any advice as I get ready for the teen years?

If you have a child with ASPERGERS that is now in there pre-teen or teen years looking for words of wisdom on what I should expect and advice on how to get through it....Thanks

katonthego73

Asked by katonthego73 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a 23 yr old daughter with Asperger's and it is really hard to say what you can expect because each case is different. My daughter was very hyper and cheerful but at the same time she didn't know what to do with her emotions so she hoarded things and stupid things like gum wrappers.she was abusive at times to little kids and animals. I guess you would need to tell me more of what your kid is like. you can message me anytime for support...also is your child in any type of therapy program?
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I work with teens with special needs, not specifically Asperger's though we have had some kids with it. The only kind of general things I can think of at 1am off the top of my head is to remember that s/he is going to be a teenager. With all the lovely teenage hormones that all teens have. And I am a strong supporter of sex ed for people with special needs. A very high percentage of people with sn will be sexually assulted/abused, many times simply because they don't know what is happening or that they can say "NO". So I would recommend some sex ed, knowing his/her body, masturbation, sexuality, birth control - all with whatever morality you want and of course respect for self first and foremost.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2010