Frustrated Mommy

I am so frustrated with telling my 20 month old NO. He is so stubborn and I feel like I am telling him no all day. Then when I discipline him I feel terrible. It is sooo frustrating!! Does anyone else feel like this ever? Does anyone have any good tricks for disciplining toddlers?? Times out are out of the question as his attention span is like 2 minutes long!

sunshine_baby86

Asked by sunshine_baby86 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out doesn't have to be longer than 2 and 1/2 minutes before they get the point. My mother used to stand us with our noses in the corner.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 12:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My daughter is 2 and when I say go to your room when she is throwing a fit she marches right there in anger but she goes. She stayes for not even 2 min then she is fine. Its better to start them now...I get you on that NO thing they just get into everything!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think feeling bad that you discipline is a sign that you are a healthy, loving mom. I feel that way with my 11-month-old, too. I think if you don't feel bad at all, then you have to worry! Hang in there!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I feel the very same way sometimes too. He seems to go through phases where he tests, then he mellows out for a while. I hate telling him no so often, but consistency is so important and I try to keep that in mind. But it's hard! They are so good at finding trouble!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Remember, he is only two years old. You are the parent, the one in control. Fighting with a little one will only make a loser out of the parent. There is no winner here. He will eventually understand.

Think about how a two year is limited on expressing his emotions and how frustrating it is for him as well.

TAKE A DEEP BREATH and just pick your battles. Sometimes WE need to walk way from the situation and then return when in control. It WILL get better. Good Luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Stop saying no!

I have a 23 mo grandson I take care of every other day so I know what it's like to take care of a child this age and I rarely say no. When you save no and stop for emergencies then these words work. If it's not an emergency there are plenty of other things you can do. Here is a famous article about the foolishness of saying no

http://www.sheknows.com/articles/804952.htm

A good book is Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called star parenting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Great article Gailll. I've been doing many of those things, they just seemed to make sense.

I do need to work on perfecting my "glare", my mom sure had it perfected. lol
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2010