Both my boys have a diaper rash what could be the cause?

i have a 2.5 year old and a one year old, both have a diaper rash at the same time and both rashes are pretty bad. My one year old has never had a rash and my 2.5 year old has only had one or two when he was a baby. I am thinking there is a link between the two but I am at a loss as to what? They have not received any new foods, no change in diaper or wipe types, and nothing else I can think of. Anyone have an idea?

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 12:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• could be just a combination of the heat + the wetness.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• are you changing them frequently enough? The heat like PP said could be a major factor.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Were they sitting in their wet diapers a little too long? That always does it for my son. I'm very lucky that as soon as I put diaper cream on him, the next time I change his diaper, the rash is already gone.

How about during their baths, are you making sure they are completely dry before you put their diapers back on?

Have they been swimming in a pool this summer? The extra moisture and the heat could be causing a rash to form.

That's about all I can think of. I hope that helps and good luck!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 12:25 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Best thing to apply at the diaper change is VASELINE (petroleum jelly) which provides a barrier from the urine. Remember, water and oil do not mix. I would apply a zinc oxide baby ointment until better. Then start using Vaseline at each diaper change. I had two boys (twins) and this worked like a charm. They never ever had another rash - ever.

Forget using ant powders, they just cause a bit of dust which can get into their little lungs. Good luck!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:28 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• HEAT RASH !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 12:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would guess heat as well. I use baby powder on my 2.5 yo when it's hot out and he doesn't get the rash. The best thing to treat it is aquaphor and maalox, mixed together in equal parts.

I have noticed that as he's growing older, certain food affect him differently now. He loves raisins, but he can only have a small amount or he will get a nasty rash. Same with strawberry/banana juice.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• it dus not all ways have to do with them siting in there diper for a long time there pee may just be extr strung but i use i use corona on my dd and not the beer lol
    RoRo1986

Answer by RoRo1986 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• A&D Ointments works well. When the rash clears, apply VASELINE (petroleum jelly) after EVERY diaper change. The Vaseline works as a shield against the urine (water and oil do not mix).

I guarantee you it works!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010