Given the choice, would you have a Doula at your birth?

If cost were not a factor, would have a Doula at your birth?

The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.

Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 1:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes.... my birth plan wasn't followed at all and DH was to scared to help me

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• definitely yes. I wanted a doula for my past 2 births but couldn't due to cost. I'm seriously thinking about a home birth for my next birth. I'd rather save up to have the home birth the way I want than have a typical hospital birth where you're poked and prodded and threatened the whole time of c-sections. That's what happens when you hire a surgeon to birth your baby.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:09 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Even when cost was a factor when we were having our first baby, we still found a way to hire a doula. I have also contracted a wonderful doula for the homebirth we're planning in October.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would and I did and it was free because she needed it for her certification and she was a tremendous help and I love everything she did and would have another one anytime.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 1:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If I didn't have an amazing, supportive, and experienced mom, I would consider getting a doula.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think doula's are great and if I were to ever have a hospital birth I would have a doula.

I have decided that any future births will be just me and my husband with a midwife in the other room. My husband is who I need during birth and since I am well versed in natural childbirth I can instruct him to do what I need.

I love the idea of women supporting women during birth though. Which is why I will have a midwife there who can step up if labor becomes difficult. A midwife to me is a woman who knowledge has been passed down through centuries, so having a midwife is like centuries of women helping me birth.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes that would of been a different experience.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• yes that would be very nice. i gave birth in the hospital - between circumcision and breast feeding i was happy to go home
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• For a hospital birth: ABSOLUTELY. :-)
    (Even a surgical delivery.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• No - I had one for my first and there was no benefit. I enjoyed my other 4 deliveries much more with just family attending.

Answer by missanc at 7:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2010