How do i stop 2am wake ups and climbing in bed with mommie and daddie?

My son will be 2 sept 4th. and it just started about 2 months ago. He throughs a fit thinking its play time. We have tryed to do nap time earlyer in the morning or no naps. We have tryed giving him a bath 30mins before bedtime. I am 22 and hes my first. My husband has 2 other children (10, 9) and acts like he dont know what to do. I would greatly apprectiate the advice and tips. thank you everyone

afarmer

Asked by afarmer at 1:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's sleeping too much during the day or too close to bedtime then he WILL throw a fit. At his age, he shouldn't be sleeping more than a couple of hours during the day. Don't cut out the nap, he's too young. Around 12 noon or 1pm is a good time. Make sure he's getting lots of exercise during the day so that he's tired at night. Don't give him anything sugary before bed. Try promising a story if he'll get in bed each night. But only if he gets in bed. Don't become frustrated. Bedtime should be peaceful and relaxing.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:26 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son went through something similar recently but we had some major life changes. We added a sister for him and then we remodeled our house and changed his room. Now that he's adjusted to the changes he stays in bed all night long most of the time. I figure it's very normal for a child to come to bed with the parents occasionally and I do enjoy getting some snuggles.

Any big changes recently? Possible growth spurt? Some kids just go through phases, it should pass soon enough.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It's normal for 2 year olds to want to sleep with their mom & dad. Moms throughout time have slept with their babies and toddlers and still do in many countries. It's more common for moms to sleep with babies and toddlers then to sleep with husbands!

How do you like sleeping alone. Imagine what it's like for a little guy. Enjoy the hours you have alone and realize that in time he will be sleeping alone. My 22 yo son slept 18 hours the other day! He didn't sleep through the night until he was 3.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• He could always start out eith you, lol. ;-)

My children always co-slept so waking in the middle of the night has been common and easy...

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• ooops! That should say: start out "with" you

(typing with a Band-Aid, lol)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• How about making a little "bed" on the floor next to your bed for him to come and lay on if he comes in in the middle of the night? It could just be a blanket and a pillow, or a sleeping bag. Something like that.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Well back in noevember we brought home a lil brother then about a month or two after that we got a toddler bed for him. He out grew the playpin he was sleeping. I thought he was doing good there for a min. Guess well just wait it out. thank you both for your tips and advice. He dosent get out to much. We live in sc and its been getting up to 100 and more degrees. But we do try.
    afarmer

Comment by afarmer (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Aug. 13, 2010