Best breast pump?

Looking to buy a new one soon. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Erin814

Asked by Erin814 at 1:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a madela, they are kind of pricey but worth every penny
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Why are you using one? It makes a difference on suggestions.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree with a madela. Oh what a waste : (

I had to go back to work after 8 weeks. At first I just used an manual avent and about lost my mind. My mom helped me buy a double pump medela and it made our lives so much easier. I don't know how to compare to other electric pumps though. I heard they were the best and I wasn't willing to mess around.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Glad I asked. You don't need a pump for an inverted nipple. You need breast shells. You wear it in your bra before the baby is born to help the nipple pop out. Then you wear it between feedings. Medela now calls these Nipple Formers.

http://www.medelasuction.com/ISBD/breastfeeding/products/formers.php

Pumps can cause nipple trauma and sore nipples. They might draw a nipple out while the pump is on but it will go back when it's off. You don't want to use shields, they can cause sore nipples.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

Complete nipple inversion on one side after a breast surgery. The breast pump was something that I attempted on that side with my first son to help draw out the nipple. I ended-up just feeding him from the good side though.
    Erin814

Comment by Erin814 (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

My Mom bought me one to use with my first baby. I think she paid between $300-$400 for it in 2003. Well, I left it stored in her house for a few years and she has determined that it was accidentally thrown away! AHHHH!
    Erin814

Comment by Erin814 (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I already have shells and I used them with my 1st pregnancy as well. I didn't have much luck with them at all. It was suggested to me by some LLL friends to use the pump for a few minutes and then try to get baby to latch on again.
    Erin814

Comment by Erin814 (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2010