when you pick your child up from school...

do the teachers just let them out, and pretty much set them free?? or do you have to actually go and pick up your child in person?? what grade were they in when they were allowed out without a parent present??

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 1:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our way of doing it here is: you wait outside and the teacher comes out with the class and doesn't release the child until the parent picks up.
    MassMomof3

Answer by MassMomof3 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I pick my kids up in the parking lot. There are at least 2 teachers helping the kids walk to their parents cars. If I dont use the car then I walk up to them and get them from thier teachers.
    Jamie1972

Answer by Jamie1972 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We go to the room and pick them up!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i pick mine up. it depends on the teacher. i had one that didn't care, then i had a couple who did. the kids were always outside. my oldest will be in the third grade, i'll still be picking her up.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• In kindergarten, the bussed students are escorted to their buses by an assigned safety patrol student (5th graders.) Each 5th grader has 2-3 kids from the same class and bus to walk out. If the kindergarten kids are being released as a walker, they are released from the back door of the classroom to parents waiting outside.

1st through 5th leave as a group with a teacher to the front of the building for buses and as a separate group with another teacher to the back of the building if they're walkers. However, once they reach the door, they're on their own. Parents picking up kids would be parked in ferry lines in the back lot (if they drove, of course.) Most parents that drove and most who walked up to meet the meet kids would congregate around the back doors around the time the kids came out. There are kids who simply walk home on their own. Not mine, but some. We're a mile from our school. We bus K-2nd and walk 3rd-5th.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:55 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The teachers wait with the kids outside up until 15 minutes after school lets out. If there are any kids left, they take them into the principles office to wait with the secretary. They don't let any child leave the grounds unless they have a note from the parent.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• When my kids were in fourth grade they were aloud to leave the school without teacher but most parents were outside waiting anyway. But up until then the teacher walked them out.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 9:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• my oldest is going into 1st grade. the rules at her school are they line up to go to the bus and if not getting on the bus they wait by the door to their classroom until they see their parent but the teachers/admin/helpers are always there watching and making sure no kids go out in the parking lot by themselves. and drop off they always have a teacher on duty helping the kids get out of the car and onto the playground safely :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 6:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Kindergartners had to be picked up by a parent but first on up the kids found there own to the pick up area.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• In kindergarten they had a separate play yard and gate. The yard monitor would only release the child when the parent came to the gate. Now that he'll be in 1st grade they simply let him go out the main gate with the bigger kids. I think they have 2 "big kid" gates so the really big ones aren't released with the smaller ones. Luckily my smallest has an older brother in 3rd grade who can help him navigate over to where I wait to pick them up.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010