why is my daughter doing this at 5 yrs old!!!?

ok. so my daughter is 5 years old and lately she has been peeing on her bedroom floor on purpose! she knows where the bathroom is and shes been potty trained since she was 2. i had my son 7 months ago so i think it may be for attention but she gets lots of it i mean yea alotta my focus is on matthew and im not perfect but i do the best that i can i just dont understand why she is doing this.

AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Asked by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 at 1:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If she is getting attention why would you think she is doing it for attention? That is just something that people say when they don't know what they are talking about or the child has huge problems.

What does she say? What do you do? Could she have a UTI? Could she have discovered masterbating? Could she be afraid of something in the bathroom?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It must be an emotional type of thing I know an 18 yr old who cuts and pees the floor because she doesn't know what to do with her emotions. I know it is a big age gap there but the point is when people just pee ...not using a bathroom, it is freeing inner stress. You should ask the DR. about this...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would say you've already figured out the why. My question back to you is how do you react when this happens? That is more the key to stopping it.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 2:26 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• a 5years old child is not yet an adult,u still need teach her ,make sure she always go to the toilet and pee every night b4 she goes to bed,and make sure she doesnt take 2much water or watery stuffs like juices late at night,and try to wake her up and take her 2 the toilet like 2times to pee b4 day break,dis will help her try it
    ESSY045

Answer by ESSY045 at 2:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think some kids literally do it for the experience: There is a warm sensation. A puddle. Something came OUT of them. Interesting!
    ;-)

Maybe it's for attention, or whatever-- but that wouldn't be my first guess.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• UTI? STRESS? IS she going to school? 5 years old is about kindergarten age. Is she going to school this fall?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would think she is either angry about something or she wants to be thought of as being too young to do something that is being required of her. Either way, it's an indication that she needs some kind of help. There is a tendency today for children to be expected to act like adults way before they are ready. So maybe the requirements are needing to be lowered.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would say its the common jealous thing new baby taking over moms attention. Try talking to her and spending time with her and baby as well as spend time with just her to try to get her to stop. If that doesnt help try some counseling before it gets worse. When my daughter was that age she was a firestarter because she was jealous of the baby as well. We went to counseling and it stopped and we also joined a mommy and me group in our area. GOOD LUCK!
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 9:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• OR it could be a combination of any and all things mentioned previously including procrastination. My dd had a few incidents when she was 5 where she was so focused on what she was doing she did not want to stop and go use the bathroom. This of course resulted in a big puddle on the floor. I just made an effort to remind her to go more often. Does she ever have accidents during the night? Some kids who suffer from allergies or sleep apnea can also experience higher incidents of nigh-time urination.
    papercutout

Answer by papercutout at 11:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• spend time with her if it is a attention thing and try to work with her and teach she dont do that.find out if there is a problem with her if not try to reward her when she doesnt do it.or take something away from her to help her learn not to do it.good luck.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2010