doula price

how much does a doula cost?
how many weeks pregnant would i start seeing her? i'm 30 wks now would it be a waste of time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The doula that I contracted for the homebirth we are planning is $500. She comes with my midwife for every prenatal appointment. So, I have been seeing her since 5 weeks.

It's not too late! Doulas are a wonderful resource!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It depends on the doula. Sometimes you can find one who is not yet certified that needs experience that will do it for free. Some work on a sliding scale. I'd do a search for doula's in your area and check with them for prices.

I think it would definitely be worth it. At 30 weeks you still have plenty of time. A doula isn't like a Dr/Midwife that you need to see throughout your entire pregnancy, she is mainly just labor support. I would contact asap though just so you have time to meet and get a connection going. You need a chance to feel comfortable with her, you will be sharing one of the most intimate parts of your life with her.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The cost depends on the area of the country. Where I live it's around $400. If you go to google and type in doula and your city and state you should find some doulas. On their websites it should say how much the fees are and what services they offer. It's not too early to be choosing a doula at 30 weeks.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I also want to add (if it's relevant to you) that Medicaid covers the cost of a doula where I live. That will mean finding a doula that accepts it though.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:28 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If you are military there are doulas that can be free or very low cost. Especially if your spouse is deployed or will be around your due date.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Between free and maybe about $1200. Varies mostly depending on the cost-of-living for your area.

I think this is an ideal time to set up some interviews and see what you think...
    I have a list I can share if you'd like. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:25 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'm a certified doula, however, I do not practiceanymore. I used to charge $500 though. Check out www.dona.org
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 5:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I actually hired my doula at 35 weeks. I decided last minute I wanted one. I already knew her so that helped but depending on the doula they really don't see you that many times before you actually give birth anyway. You could still have time to see her a few times before you go into labor.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I am a doula in training.. I charge 200$ right now,, my price will go up once I'm certified... You might want to try to find a doula in training..It might save you some money...
    chrystalnkeith

Answer by chrystalnkeith at 4:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010