Why am I not producing as much milk as I was at first?

My baby is 4 months, I did start her on cereal a couple of weeks ago; just a couple times a day. I still bf her 4 or 5 times a day, should I stop doing that? She is a hungry little girl, I thought she was not getting full is why I started to begin with?

LeTishia

Asked by LeTishia at 7:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 4 months old and nurses about 10 times a day. I'd say just start nursing her more often and your milk will increase. Breastmilk should still be her main source of nutrition at this stage. Nurse her before feeding her cereal and then give her cereal until she pushes it away.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I started my son on eating cereal for breakfast, and then as he started wanting more real food then i bumped it up. But i never lost any milk production either. So maybe cut down on the cereal for a while unless you are in a hurry to quit bfing.
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 7:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My baby boy is 4 months and its the same with me. He eats more foods and nurses less. It happens when you decrease how much you nurse.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Four months old is too young for baby to start solids. The American Academy of Pediatrics says only breastmilk for the first 6 months "In the first 6 months, water, juice, and other foods are generally unnecessary for breastfed infants." At four months babies should be nursing 8-12 times in 24 hours to get the nutrition that they need. Nurse your baby before offering other foods. Human milk remains the single most important food in your baby's diet until his first birthday. Additionally, he is more likely to show interest in new foods if he is not ravenously hungry. At this age, other foods are more for experimentation, play and fun. Remember to offer to nurse again after the solid "meal".
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2008