i need opinions. should i talk to my mother in law or am i just being uptight? (baby talk)

i love my mother in law to death. she's done so much for us and is a genuinely wonderful person but the way she talks to my 3 week old daughter really bothers me. she'll pronounce R's and L's like W's and she won't use real words with her. today she came over and was holding my daughter and said to her "whewes youw bobo" meaning "where's your pacifier" i just said nicely to her, "we call it a pacifier and she doesn't like her pacifier". now my husband and i talk softly and gently to her but we use real words and we pronounce them correctly for her and i want my mother in law to do the same. i really want to talk to her but i don't want to sound mean or anything cause she's done so much for us. what should i say or should i keep my mouth shut?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ugh. I hate baby talk. Hate it. A couple of my grown employees baby talk. I'm sure they think it's cute but it just make them sound ridiculous.

For this reason my kids don't watch that tv show...wonder pets? They baby talk and it drives me nuts. I'm trying to teach my kids how to speak correctly and I don't need contradictions.

I'd have a talk with your MIL. Let her know how much you appreciate her first and foremost. Then let speak to her about the baby talk. She may not even realize she's doing it, but they more she does it the more it will become habit. It may not have an effect at 3 weeks old but it certainly will as baby gets older.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Oh my gosh girl! I have the same problem with my own mother! I love her to death and she's great with my girls but I hate the way she talks to my three year old! She does the exact same thing and it annoys me because my DD talks like that after she gets back from spending a few days with her. I don't know the polite way to ask her to stop without insulting her though. It's frustrating.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We have never spoke to our DD in baby talk. I don't/didn't want my DD to learn her words like that I want her to say them the right way. I have a women at my work that every single time she see my DD she talks like a baby and my DD looks at her like she was some crazy women that talks funny my hubby said to her politely that we don't talk baby talk to her we talk to her like we talk to any other person we talk with in this world. She has stopped no more baby talk. But this is just some women I work with. I am not talking about my MIL. I would say something to her and if it continue and this is the worst thing your MIL does count your blessing I have heard war story's about the MIL's.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I hate baby talk too, my boys are 18,21 & 27, & I never spoke baby talk to them. I will say that since you are not talking baby talk to your baby. It probably won't affect her if other people do. It sounds like you are lucky to have a mother in law who adores your child, & is good to you. My boys are the only grandchildren on both sides, & my mother in law has met them only a couple of times....even though she's lived just a few miles away most of their childhood. I'd have given anything for her to show any interest in the boys at all.

If you can tolerate it, I'd let it go, & count your blessings that she loves your daughter so much, I agree that it sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it will really do any harm. If it really just drives you nuts, I think I'd ask your husband to handle this one. You don't want it to cause trouble between you, & it is his mom. Whatever you do good luck, and it sounds like you're a good mom!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:36 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• dude ur daughter is 3 weeks old
    some people just get too xcited at first maybe if shes gettin older she does it constantly
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i had the same problem. they wouldn't listen until the second kid. buy that time my oldest was talking, and you heard kids say the darnest thing, she totally embassered them! it was so funny! give it time, the baby talk will go away.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• First, kudos to you and DH for not doing the baby talk thing. Children learn language by hearing it. Modeling proper grammar from the get-go is the best way to build a proper and strong vocabulary in your child. Yes, even at 3 weeks old.

on the other hand, your dd *IS* only 3 weeks old and today, MIL isn't hurting anything by sounding ridiculous. ;) Your DD is hearing proper language more often than not and that's good. Give MIL a little time. She may outgrow her fascination with the cutesy baby talk as your daughter gets a few months older. If not? I'd find a good article talking about verbal development and the impact of proper grammar on it. One day when she's NOT been speaking baby talk to your daughter, I'd share the article with her. "oh, look at this interesting piece in XYZ magazine. How fascinating!"
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:51 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If you and your husband really think a talk is needed, your husband should be the one to talk to his mother. Anything you say can and will be used against you for the rest of your life. Whatever needs to be done, let your husband handle it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Your daughter's 3-weeks old. All she notices is the sing-song quality of how your MIL talks to her, and it's the sing-song intonation that babies respond to. Don't worry about it, it will make no difference in how your daughter talks. Realize now that you have to pick your battles, and this one isn't worth bothering with.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think it will pass and you should wait longer if and when you do say something. As you and DH continue talking normally to the baby hopefully your MIL will change. Right now it doesn't affect the baby's speech. If, as she gets older, your MIL doesn't change then I agree that your DH should calmly tell her you both want her to talk normal. And if the baby will spend huge amounts of time with her, if she will be caring for baby so you can work for example, then it is crucial for her to change. For now, let it go. Enjoy that baby!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010