do you have a baby suffering from constipation...

my daughter has been constipated for about 4 days or so. she is 4 months old. every time she had to go she would scream so loudly. i kept trying to figure out what to give her because the usual stuff i would give is not accessible where i live..so a friend suggested orange juice..1 part orange juice and 2 parts water for her age. recommended to her by her pediatrician here in saudi Arabia... i tried, she didn't like. so i mixed it with her formula ..she drank it and about 30 minutes later she pooped so much i don't think she has any left LOL.. who knew! woot woot for orange juice.

are there any juices you use for infant/toddler constipation?
or for adults.

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 3:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• According to my pediatrician, most fruits that start with "P" are good for constipation (peaches, prunes, pears, and plums). Grapes are also good. I believe the fruit is better than the juice, though.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• She may be lactose intolerant. My son was and he was put on soy milk, problem solved.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Wow, orange juice?! I wish I knew that worked years ago when my now almost 13yr old was a baby! She used to have bad gas issues due to colic and her formula...had to use that stinky Nutramigen formula....she was always constipated and it about killed me to listen to her scream so much! We used to have to give her Mylicon drops and then use a thermometer with vaseline on the end and stick it slightly in her rectum to get her to poop! Geesh...sure wish I knew orange juice worked!!!
    efeyer25

Answer by efeyer25 at 5:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• diluted prune juice, works EVERY time!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:28 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would definitely look into the type of formula she is on. Cows milk is very hard on a baby's tummy and that is what a lot of formulas are made from!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• adriana.. that might be something to look at.. but i think she doesn't get enough to eat. she will generally not eat more than 4 ounces to 5 at a time and she won't take a bottle every 3 or 4 hours either. she refuses it. s(banhe was doing ok until this week. i think i'll have to try to get her used to eating a little more...she is too funny when she is done she just pushes the bottle out with her mouth and smiles and there is no way she'll take it again. LOL

efyer.. i wish i new this too years ago instead of loading my kid up with karo syrup i could have just given 1 ounce of oj... (smacking my forehead) LOL
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 6:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would think about mirelax but only take if directed by a dr. You can try prune juice.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Orange juice should not be given to a child under one! Citrus is an allergy trigger food.
    Is there any chance of relactating?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• rkoloms.. no i dried up like a prune.. so i don't think so.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

•  

Rkoloms read these

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043200.asp

http://www.drgreene.com/qa/citrus-foods-and-baby

of course i only used 1 oz of oj to cure her constipation not to replace food or for her to continue drinking it.

Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010