How small a house could you live in?

My current home is 1,100 sq ft. Enough for me. I have lived in huge homes, my childhood home was at least 5,000 sq ft, my last home was over 2.500 sq ft. I want to downsize and am looking at Tumbleweed Tiny Homes.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

I am looking at the 800 sq ft home, with some modifications for my needs.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• are you serious about those tiny houses? lol an 89 square ft house? wtf lol
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 8:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• 800 sq foot oh boy
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 4:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• OP--I take it you don't have any children living at home?! LOL If it were JUST me in a home, I could get by in a small bungalow...but it would have to be in the perfect year round location...close enough to the lakes (for swimming) and mountains (for skiing!) I wouldn;t be able to LIVE all the time in a small place...but to eat, shower and sleep there...sure!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Well I am not sure how small a home I could live it probably no smaller then 1100 with a dh & a child or so if it was just me then maybe smaller 900 square feet might work I've never even had to consider that I've always had large homes
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• our last place was about 800 square ft. ugh! we managed...but it was rather small. our place now is about 1200..not a huge amount bigger but it definitely makes a difference!
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 8:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My house is 1100 sqft, but I have 1100 sqft finished basement too! I have three kids and two cats and a lazy husband so it is just big enough. If I didn't have kids or the hubby, my and the kitties would be happy with a one room cabin in the woods. My husband thinks we need a bigger house... I'm not cleaning a bigger house.... no...not happening!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Ours is 3,000 sq ft, and honestly I couldn't live in any place smaller. We have a band, 5 kids - and I need a big kitchen!

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:54 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• my apartment is about 950 sq ft. Its smaller than I would like but its only an apartment so I'm not complaining. When we buy our home, we are looking at about 2200-2800 sq ft.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes, it is just me, my dog and two cats. I am on a huge city lot and when I really sat and thought about what rooms I used, it came down to my bedroom, my bathroom, the kitchen and the laundry room/study. Who ever owned this home prior to me, put the washer and dryer in a bedroom closet? What were they thinking? I always ended up with that room and put my children in the other two bedrooms, I now use it as a study with my computers and my sewing and crafts.  I read in there to, I have a wonderful comfy leather chair. . I never use the living room or the dining room or my extra bedroom. So a great room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom would all I need to live comfortably. I have lived in very tiny places while on active duty in the military. Basically just a bed and a small place to store what I owned. There was a group bathroom, kitchen and laundry facilities.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2010