Can you get a breast infection even when not nursing?

my dd weaned 6 weeks ago. normal weaning (she is my 3rd bf and weaned). my breasts were sore for a few days, like usual and then my milk dried up and soreness went away. now here we are 6-7 weeks later and my right breast is killing me! on the bottom part. i do not have a fever (99.8 this afternoon) but i feel horrible. like the flu, which in my experience, is what breast infections have felt like. my body aches everywhere and i have that "chill" that will not go away. i just feel like a truck hit me. is it possible to actually get a breast infection not even nursing??

CrazyPlace

Asked by CrazyPlace at 7:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Health

• Yes you can. I had quit nursing Lydia for approximately ONE YEAR and had what appeared to be a breast infection. I kind of freaked out a little bit. I went to the doctor and it was a blocked duct. Crazy huh? But, yes, it can happen.

proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 9:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think that's happening to me right now. I have pain under my right armpit, which is always where I would get an infection, and I'm feeling fluish, but no fever, and no red bump. I always got a red bump with mine. I weaned my son in early July, so it's been about three months.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2008