potty training

my grndson is three hes afraid of the big potty. hell use his child size potty we even took it with us recently on a trip. but he wont use a public restroom even when im there or his mom. how do we get him to use it if hes afraid

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 5:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• what about hidding his little one
    i mean will he pee on the floor or he might just have to use the big one?
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 6:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Those public toilets are big and scary to children! Has he seen you and other family members use one? Plan his outings so that he goes before leaving home. And also have the small potty in the car if needed. My friend had one in her car for months until the children accepted the public ones. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Potty training can be scary for children, especially public ones - they flush so loudly. I don't know if you have an iphone, but I've had a positive experience with Joy Berry's I Love Potty Training app. The app has a lot of features, including e-book, game, songs, and tracking chart, so the potty becomes a fun experience instead of foreign and scary. Check it out here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-love-potty-training/id377296392?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2
    bbvTrista

Answer by bbvTrista at 11:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Don't force it. Plan your trips accordingly and bring your little potty with you to help him get through. You can give him the choice at home to use either potty. Eventually he'll want to use the big potty at home and then public toilets won't be such an issue.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My son is 4.5 and he'll use a public restroom, but he WILL NOT under any circumstances flush the toilet or let me flush it while he's still in the stall... he runs to the other side of the restroom, covers his ears, and then lets me flush it... Public toilets tend to flush louder then a home toilet and it often scares kids, especially the automatic ones. Give it time, let him see other family members using the public restrooms, and always keep his little potty handy. I'm an adult and I'm still not a huge fan of public restrooms, so I can understand where your grandson is coming from
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• try bribing him with toy cars, fruit snack/fruit leathers, or new books. It worked for me. Also, maybe let him pick out a potty seat that fits into the big toilet seat and a stool. The day my son found his "finding nemo" step stool at a second hand store is the day he became potty trained. Also, second hand stores is where I would go to buy the bribing stuff. I had my son with when we went and he saw all of the things he could have so he knew what he was working for.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Keep Trying.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010