How to deal with kitten and new baby?

My son is due 2nd Oct, my 1 year old kitten thinks that he is the baby (probably as we treat him like one) What is the best way to to deal with his expected jealously when baby arrives? Does anyone have experience of this??

a-mee

Asked by a-mee at 6:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Pets

• The kitten may be scared of the baby and never come near the baby, or completely ignore the baby. That's how my cats reacted to each of mine when they were infants. Just keep an eye on them when they're together, and don't leave the cat and the baby alone together. They'll be fine.

Some people suggest having your husband bring home something of the baby's for the cat to smell before you bring the baby home, but I never did that.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• just make sure you keep your cat off the baby's stuff, I had a cat when I was pregnant with my second daughter my cat was probably about 3 to 4 months old and we made sure we kept her away from the baby's stuff, we had to take her off a few times but she eventually got it and when I finally had my daughter and brought her home my cat was very aware and stayed away from her no matter what, kinda like she knew her place, she never went near her or tried laying in her stuff. I really appreciated my cat for it. as my daughter got older my cat got more comfortable.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i say get rid of the cat is unhealthy
    talk to your dr about having a cat especially with loosing hair
    theres been cases cats kill the babies sit on top of them and suffocates them for jealousy
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 6:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• He knows not to go in the nursery already so he is pretty good, I'm just nervous of how he will act around the baby..
    a-mee

Comment by a-mee (original poster) at 6:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• One of our cats decided she didn't want to live in the house anymore when our first born came home. She moved outside. Another of our cats slept in the crib and everything was fine. I also slept with a cat as a baby.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010