what are my chances he'll be sleeping through the night regularly by 6 months old?

I have 2 sons. One is 3 and one is 3 months old. My 3 year old didn't start sleeping through the night regularly until he was almost 2. He woke up 2-4 times a night until he was 18 months old. My baby though, has been waking up twice half of nights, and only once half of nights! He has slept 7 hours in a row about 4 or 5 times in the past 2 weeks. last night he slept from 10 pm until my alarm went off at 5:15! It's hard for me to believe that he is sleeping for such long stretches after my first son. I know it's possible that he will start waking more frequently, growth spurts, etc. I just wonder what you all think my chances are that he'll just keep improving? :D i work full time and this is just such a relief, after my older ds I had expectations that i'd be sleeping 2 hour chunks for the next year or so!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are no guarantees, and I think a lot will depend on how you handle the night-time wake-ups. Haibts are very quickly formed with young children and they are very hard to break.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i think all babies are different!
    i have a 2 month old that sleeps through the night.
    i have 2 two year olds that do not!!!
    when the twins were babies they fed every 3 hours.
    my first two fed every 1 1/2 hours!

i keep waiting for my baby to change her habits too, but she went 8 hours last night!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Once my kids started sleeping through the night at 2 months they never really started waking again. I can count on one hand the nights my 20 month old has woken up in the middle of the night since he was 2 months old.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• First, 5 hours is considered a "sleep through". The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• They are all different. None of mine slept through before a year. My youngest was 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• that same thing happen to me my first son would wake up something like 5 times at night and that was until about 2 yrs old he would still wake up once at 4 to drink something. now his 2n 5 months and finally sleeping through the night. my second son from the time he came from the hospital he would wake up about 3 times after the first month he would only wakt up 2 times and now he is 5 months and wakes up only 1 time im hoping it keeps getting better and he can just nap all night makes night so much better
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2010