11 month old with lice

She has the most insanely beautiful thick long brown hair. I always get compliments. I would really like to not have to cut it off. Any ideas? Her doctor mentioned olive oil overnight. Has anyone had experience with a baby this young with lice? Help!!

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 7:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The real deal is--if there are nits in her hair, you HAVE to comb them out. Even if one nit survives your treatment, you will have to start all over again. It happens, Trust me. I am a teacher and I see it a lot! I would go out and buy a nit comb. If you need to enlist the help of someone to hold her down, do it.

Also, do not forget to wash bedding and clothing and do a complete vacuuming. Also, put any stuffed animals in a pillow case and put it in a dryer on high heat for at least 20 minutes. Anything you can not vacuum, wash or put in the dryer, try putting it in a large plastic bag for a few weeks.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• honey, it doesn't matter if she WANTS you to or not! You're the mommy! No matter what you treatment you use, you're gonna have to pick it out of her hair.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• A nit comb might work since the poster said her child has thick hair.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well cutting it off won't solve anything either way. Olive oil or mayonnaise could help, but you best bet is to just sit down and pick it all out (depending on how bad it is)
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• She does NOT wanting me touching her head. She throws her head back and screams when I try. It might be because she is so fussy at the moment, but I'm not sure how well picking it out will work. Also... her hair is incredibly thick. it's crazy thick.
    gottalovemal

Comment by gottalovemal (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yeah I understand that on my son was like that. I would do the olive oil or mayonnaise thing. The only problem is you have to use a cap of some sort to cover her hair while it is in there and if she won't leave it one the may not be a good Idea.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well, I can do mayo or olive oil and put down those waterproof pads for her to sleep on, then just give her a bath in the morning... I am so upset. I hope this works. Thank you!!!
    gottalovemal

Comment by gottalovemal (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think there is some kinda lice comb you can get and comb it through her hair
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 8:09 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• there is shannon, but with babies hair it doesn't seem to work as well. Their hair is to smooth or thin idk it just doesn't work
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thank you everyone. I bought a nit comb and mayo and I am going to comb comb comb and then drown her head in mayo and see how that goes. How long can lice survive off of the head?
    gottalovemal

Comment by gottalovemal (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010