How can I keep my teenager from hanging out with the wrong crowd

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Well.. You become a spy... You advise the teachers and principal that you suspect they are hanging with the wrong crowd.. Trust me, the teachers and principal will be more than happy to be a spy for you. You learn everything there is to know about what the child is doing when you are not there. In other words.. You spy, you eavesdrop.. You are the parent, it is your duty to make sure they are always in the right. I stopped at nothing with my first daughter. It was tough...started a grade seven when she started a new school... The principal told me I was his favorite parent of all time because he knew I cared.. He even passed it on to the high school principal when she started there....You know where the child is at all times.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Put him in activities..Keep him ACTIVE and very busy. I put mine in the Young marines google in your area...and i'm going to also put him in the Boys and Girls club for tutoring. Volunteer him at the park or something. Church activities. I put the youth church activities on my calendar so he can participate. :) Tell him this is what I expect. I'm training you up so you will be prepared for the World. Share some stories of yourself/husband that made bad choices at one time. Encourage him to make good choices. Tell him how you want him to succeed. Talk about the consequences and how some kids grow up into adults and stay stuck as if they were still children and don't mature and aren't responsible, in jail and jobless.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I talked to my son's youth pastor and told him my concerns. He spends a lot of time with my son and I thought he could give me some insight to anything that may be going wrong, he assured me my son is a leader, not a follower. Felt so good to hear that, because that's what I thought.
    ShellBell66

Answer by ShellBell66 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Keep them busy with sports, clubs at school, volunteering, or maybe a part time job. Monitor computer use and their texting to see who they are hanging out with. And don't be afraid to say NO if you know it is the wrong person. Better to have few friends than a bunch that you know are into doing the wrong things.
    Anonymous

• Strict curfew, I don't think I will have a problem with following my son every once in a while to make sure they are where they say they are. Become familiar with friends and their families. Monitor internet usage and cell phones. Ask questions...just be involved and set your expectations out for them. Keep up with discipline, if you say they are grounded for X amount of time then that's how long it will be no exceptions!
    ConnersMom1204

Answer by ConnersMom1204 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Really, I don't think you can. If you tell them not to be friends with so and so, they will just want to more. I had this problem with my son last year. He came back after the first day of school and told me the names of 3 of the boys he was hanging out with. 2 of them were drug-dealers kids. (we are in a very small school district and know everyone!) At first I tried to discourage it, but finally, I just encouraged the friendship with the other boy, who comes from a nice family, is smart and very nice. He realized on his own that the other 2 were not the kind of kids he wanted to hang out with. He's a few years younger than yours, but I think he realizes (so far) that this is a better path for him. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Be a strict NOSEY parent!!!
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My daughter has some friends that I do not really like, both are sexually active and one is also showing antisocial tendencies(skipping school, sneaking out etc...) I have to trust my child at least to a point. She tells me some things but doesn't want to discuss others I try to know her and pick up on any problems also I have set rules of behavior. She knows when something is wrong or right so far she is and excellent student and doesn't seem that interested in sex. Sometimes prayer is the best medicine and keeping an eye out of course!
    memomrenee

Answer by memomrenee at 10:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Ok this is what you do. Keep him in activites and sports, because if he has nothing to do, he will get in trouble. Strict curfew, only aloud to have "those" friends at YOUR house, with the door open, and only seldom. Do not let him go anywhere out with "them", especially if there is no supervison. Always have a cell phone, and if he doesn't answer it, he loses it and is grounded, until he realizes his friends aren't any good. Those guidelines, kept me out of trouble, and made me choice my friends more wisely, because the better the friends the more freedom I had to chill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2008