How can I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop climbing EVERYTHING?

Seriously, his nickname is Spidey...short for Spiderman. I love him to death, but he is going to give me a heart attack. He can climb over anything! He gets over the fence we have around our pool and he has now mastered the wood fence over to the neighbors back yard. He thinks our platation shutters are perfect little ladders made just for him and if I leave the room for a second, he's up to something.

Do you have a little climber and what do you do? He has NO FEAR! I should invest in that clothing line. LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• UGH, I feel your pain! None of my kids were climbers, but my #5 is! It's so hard to keep track of him while watching all the others. The only thing I can offer is take him down immediately, say 'no' firmly. My son totally understands once he's told one time. After that I do time outs (2 minutes).
    Anonymous

• sounds like you gotta get creative. I have one that is into mischief and he does climb but nothing like what your describing. I guess there comes a point where it stops being about him not being able to get over the fence, but more about obedience. Its time to set the rules and discipline him for disobeying you. Not because youre trying to be mean, but youre trying to keep him safe and also he needs to respect your word. My 2 1/2 yr old is speech delayed but even he understands when I say no, I mean no. Theres only so much gating off and locking up you can do...
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2008