Really not sure how I feel about this

We had back to school night last nigh at dd school. She is starting 1st grade. We came in and found her desk and she sat down. I picked up the folder with the parent info, handbook and what not. There was a sheet listing what would be discussed that night. It was supposed to last from 5 til 6. The kids for the most part were running wild and the parents were talking. The teacher was talking to a parent she obviously knew. As 6 rolled around most of the parents had left there had been no discussion and the teacher was still talking to the same parent. Now I have no idea what to tell dd to on Mon. Where does she go when she gets there and what does she bring the first day. Walking her in Mon will be a huge inconvenience as I have 2 other little ones and I am pregnant with my fourth. I feel like I wasted time going last night and I am not sure if I want her in this teachers class.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 8:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in

• Why didn't you join in a conversation with the teacher if this was obviously important to you?

Answer by older at 9:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Have you read through the folder containing the school's policies and procedures? It's likely that the teacher assumed that the folder was self-explanatory. If you had specific questions, you should have interrupted her conversation, nicely, and asked her.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would contact the principal and ask what the night was supposed to be. Or contact the teacher and talk to her. Let her know what you expected. See what she has to say.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• have you looked t hrough the folder? is the teacher's # listed anywhere? my ds's gave her home # (crazy, right?). but i was shocked, too, how little info i actually got from the teacher. she kept saying ''read through your folder, its all in there.'' kinda pissed me off! lol.
    the questions i had concering drop-off/pick-up and lunch? i wanted answers right then..so i grabbed the speech teacher (who i'd noticed was doing nothing but smiling at everyone) and talked to her. she actually had time to talk to me, thank goodness.
    anyhoo, i feel ya, OP. i didn't know what to expect either, and feel we got shafted, with the open-house.
    is this how they all are? idk..we're kindergartners in a new town.
    you could call the school's office and get answers, yes? good luck!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't understand why NO ONE interupted.

I am rude, I would have looked at my watch at like 5:10, clapped my hands and said, "Okay, let;s get this thing started"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Why didn't you go up and talk to her. I made sure I talked to all my kids teachers.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would have been a bit perterbed! It sounds like she did not have to have a meeting just to hand out papers, she could have sent them in the mail or gave them on the first day like most teachers do. I also believe you should not have had to interrupt the teacher when she should have been available to talk to, that is why she SHOULD have had the meeting, to introduce herself. You could go to the principle or to the teacher but it depends on how upset you are. It could start the year on the wrong foot. Communication is key, in the paper work should be a list of numbers. Call the school and ask what is expected the first day, you can say it was not made clear to you. Once you have the email of the teacher or a number get a hold of her, after you have calmed down and be frank. Tell her you would have liked to met her and discussed questions you had but she appeared to be too busy.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i would have been upset as well expectally being that this year will be my child first year in school even though it is just prek through the public school. when they say open house and set an time up like that i would have expected the teacher to address the whole class and answer any questions. i would have interuppted the teacher and asked her loudly when the open house was going to start. and then if she told me everything was in the packet i would have gone to the pricipal and explained what happened my expectations and what they thought it was supposed to be. the first day is nerve wracking for not only the child but the parent as well and you want to prepare our kids and set them up for sucess.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would call and ask to talk to the teacher and explain you have some questions. Get your questions answered. If you do not hear from her then ask to talk to the principal. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have read the entire packet that was handed out. It is school rules, dress code, and conduct code. The teacher does not have an info sheet with her number and email listed. My dd and I stood there by the teacher and the other lady talking for at least 10 min prior to us leaving and she never acknowledged us standing there. She has been at this school for at least 20 years she is not new at back to school night. The other parents could have cared less they were talking with each other not paying any attention to what was going on. I am simply amazed at the lack of professionalism from this teacher. Should I have to be rude and start her meeting for her? The school will be closed until Mon when everyone starts back. So I guess my only option is to haul 3 kids into the school then to find out what is going on and have a meeting with the principal hopefully.
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Aug. 13, 2010