Ear infections!?

My toddler (18mos) used to get a ton of ear infections. With flu/cold season coming again...I know it could start allllll over again. My question is - is there any tool or instrument that you can buy at a drug store that you can use to look in your child's ears to check for ear infections?

When he's had ear infections in the past, he showed NONE of the signs - ear pulling, etc. So, I feel like if I don't get him checked every time he gets a cold, there could be one there and I would never know. But, I hate to spend a $25 copay 2x's a month when nothing is even wrong! I would love to be able to "prescreen" it myself at home somehow. My friend told me stores used to sell something like this - do they still?

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Health

• happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Something like this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2973520
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i have seen otoscopes sold in walgreens before but i know exactly what you mean. my daughter had her first swimmers ear but didnt show any signs except to tell me one time that her ear hurt.
    you might also be about to go to a local medical supply store
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I've never heard of anythng like that. Maybe a flashlight? My kids overproduce ear wax and I have found that if I rinse them with 1/2 warm water and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide (which is what the doctor uses) their ears stay clean and if there is an infection, the peroxide will bubble and kill the infection. Good Luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I know there is something they sell in CVS that checks for ear infections. It looks kinda like the ear thermometers.
    http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/HH/EarCheck.aspx
    There is the link to the one I was talking about.
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 9:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• There is an otoscope you can buy at Walmart, I have one.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 13, 2010