Did you ever have a kitchen catastrophe? What were you trying to make?

Today is Friday, the 13th.

To celebrate and ward off evil spirits, the CafeMom Answers Team will be randomly posting 7 real-life “horror” questions throughout the day. Answer all 7 questions and you’ll receive the one-day-only Friday, the 13th Award.

Cafe Meghan

Asked by Cafe Meghan at 9:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Used salt instead of sugar in my recipe, I would call that a catastrophe!

Answer by older at 9:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Accidently caught paper towel roll on fire, paniced and shook it and a flame caught the curtains. Was able to put it out but was scary and a catastrophe.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i was using my blender and it FLEW off the base from spinning to much i guess flew into the wall i had pureed food EVERYWHERE.. and glass everywhere!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• the other day i was making popcorn and i dropped the pot on my glass cook top and it cracked :(
    i need a new cook top, and every day come up with a new reason as to why the kids should have anything other than popcorn for a snack!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I forgot to mention I was making sugar cookies!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 9:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I decided to make homemade spaghetti sauce for my future DH and didn't realize the lid for the basil was loose when I went to add it to the sauce and the whole thing poured in.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i used plain flour instead of self raising!!! aarrrggghhh lol flat cakes not good
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We cook a made-from-scratch cake at Christmas with cooked fudge icing. Yes, it is decadent, but oh, so good. It takes about 3 hours to cook and cool the fudge to the point of being able to start icing with it. We were in the middle of cooking the icing when my son, in an effort to help hurry the process, turned up the stove and scorched the fudge. We had to start over, and it took days to get the hardened fudge cleaned from the pot. We made fudge for 8 hours before we got to ice that cake.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I was trying to heat up some Fritos to make homemade Petros (chips, chili, and cheese), and since I had only heated the chips once before, I didn't remember what temperature I put it on. I knew it didn't take long, so I figured I put it on "broil" (500°), and I put the top rack as close to the top as I could. I put the Fritos on a sheet, stuck them in the oven, and went on to other things. A couple of minutes later, I turned around, and there were flames shooting around in the oven. We got the fire put out, and the next time I made Petros, I put it at 350° and left the rack in the middle. Worked much better that time.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I cut the oven on and while waiting for it to heat up, I kept smelling something burning. It wasn't until I went to put the food in and smoke went everywhere did I realize that there was left over pizza still in the box in there.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2010