My daughter is 2 (she will be 3 in november) and i notice that the kids in her class speak more than her. Do you think she has a speech problem?

When i take my daughter to daycare everyday i hear the other kids in her class and their speaking clearly. My daughter speaks but not as clear as them. She doesnt point or anything like she defifinitely tells you what she wants and everything else. But her speech isnt as clear as them. Should i give her time or should i take her to a speech therapist?????

brklynamaya

Asked by brklynamaya at 9:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think u should give her more time, my son was hard to understand til about 4. Now he speaks really good.
    mgm_5

Answer by mgm_5 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i've had a similar problem with my 3 year old. i think it's really best not to compare your child to other children, but if it's a concern then you should definately talk it over with your child's pediatrician. that's what i did and now my little one has been in speech therapy for a couple months and is making awesome progress. good luck! =]
    Jesssends

Answer by Jesssends at 9:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• not necessarily. my son terrin had perfect speech when he wanted but if you got him in a crowd he clammed right up. it could be she's just a little shy.
    tcanady

Answer by tcanady at 9:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• yea i think shes being a little shy i think ill give her a little more time because just the other she said mommy its raining and that was a total shocker maybe im over reacting and i shouldnt compare her to other kids thanks for your advices.
    brklynamaya

Answer by brklynamaya at 9:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• It can't hurt to have her evaluated, and best to catch any problem early if there is one. Contact your local Early Intervention department in your city.
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 10:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My almost 2 yr old son is very hard to understand, and doesn't have nearly as many words as his two older sisters do/did at that age. But I can still understand him well enough. If it gets closer to the time when he's going to start school and he's not talking, I'll start to worry. Some kids develop faster than others. Just be patient, don't force it, if you really feel strongly something's wrong have her evaluated, and just deal with things as they come one day at a time.
    tinandril

Answer by tinandril at 11:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I WOULD GIVE HER TIME..MY 2 YR OLD DOESNT SPEAK CLEARLY EITHER AND MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT WAS NORMAL...SHE TOLD ME TO WAIT ANOTHER YEAR AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS...PLUS SOME KIDS DEVELOP FASTER THAN OTHERS...BUT WHAT I DO IS WHEN MY SON WANTS SOMETHING I SAY WHAT THE ITEM IS..LIKE IF HE WANTS JUICE I SAY YOU WANT JUICE...JUICE...UNTIL IT SOUNDS LIKE HE'S SAYING IT OR SAYS IT...YOU'LL SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD BUT IT WORKS..
    SATX23

Answer by SATX23 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• is it certain letters like "s" or "r" or words in general?
    I would give her more time and make sure i spoke very clear to her and taught her to correct her words (but not too pushy about it) and if she points to something say "use your words" and dont give it to her w/o her says it. if you think she might not know what its called then say "say: cup, please." for her to repeat.

if it bothers you a lot when i directed a preschool the board of education in my county had a speech theapist that would come out for free and evaluate the kids... they did like to start with ths=em at 2 and half years of age. ask the director if she can arrange that for you. our county if offered a "scholarship" for some kids who couldnt afford speech lessons and meet certain critria
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2008