What do you do to cool your house in the summer with no air conditioning?

I know its hard to believe, but in Montana where I live, it gets darn hot (90's-100+) and we can't afford an air conditioner..what can I do to cool the house?

metalmomma25

Asked by metalmomma25 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Home & Garden

• turn off lights, close blinds, get fans going, andi like to throw my sheets in teh freezer, so that when i crawl into bed it is nice and COLD!
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• try keeping the shades closed when the sun is hottest. this helps keep a lot of the heat out. and use fans. i don't have air conditioning either, never have and that seems to help in my house
    amoremio

Answer by amoremio at 11:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• try opening windows that are directly across from each other. that's why all old plantation houses have those long halls. it creates a breezeway. also, won't help this year but, shade trees work wonders.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• we put foil in the windows or my grandma did and it helped
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Open your house up in the middle of the night when it is the coolest and then close up everything first thing in the morning..it will keep it much cooler. If you are really desperate...sit in the tub! works everytime ...even for hot flashes!! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 12:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2008