How long should a 5 week old be alert and NOT crying? Should they be able to smile and be entertained by visual objects?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it depends on the child. My 5 week old will sometimes be alert and not crying for up to an hour or more if she's entertained. She likes to look out the window and she smiles in her sleep, but not specifically AT anyone/thing yet. She's not into looking at toys/objects yet.

Answer by missanc at 9:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i think a 5 week old is really "entertained" by looking at their mama. i think if your 5 week is crying, you should hold her.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It varies. Crying for my two was pretty specific......they were hungry or tired mostly. However I did not have fussy babies. That is a different situation. Mine were awake for no more than an hour at 5 weeks. Babies do not really smile as an interaction with a person's face this early.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It Varies. My son slept most of his first month and didn't care about toys.
    My daughter held her head up from day one. Was alert. Was interested in tiys, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My DD didn't smile "on purpose" until about 7 weeks.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Wearing babies inwraps/slings, especially skin to skin helps with the crying.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My kids smiled at around 6-7 weeks. They aren't entertained by anything yet. Maybe a ceiling fan, my kids liked staring at that. They like to stare at you at to be held at this age. It's a very tough stage. You are learning to be a parent. It really will get easier. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Have you tried a baby swing? That could help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• it depends on the baby. both of my sons never really cried even if they were awake unless they were hungry. other than that they wouldnt cry if they were awake they would put themselves back to sleep at 5 weeks. about the smiling they start but not like smiling for every funny think usually they start smiling like whenthey see you and stuf at about 2 or 3 months. and looking at stuff they look at you but at 5 weeks they stillcant see very clearly so dont expect im to stare at toys and try to touch them
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Babies start to track and be attracted to objects around 6 weeks - you will see a big difference shortly. Babies eyes are just learning to focus - your face is the best thing right now. Sit on the couch with your knees up and bent and place baby on your lap, back and haed braced against your legs, facing you. Smile, talk, sing, make faces - babe will mimic your expressions, If they are fussy, try jiggling your legs gently, try different movements to see what they like. Every baby is different but they start to smile and respond to stimuli after the 6 week mark, generally speaking.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 3:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2010