What are some ways to prepare my four year old autistic step son for a baby sibling?

I want this transition to go as smoothly as possible as we all know that autistic children to not adapt to change very easily.

I am only in my first trimester and I feel like I need to start preparing my step son now for this change. I am at a loss as to where to start.

Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions? I have the time to try many different ideas.

Asked by girlneffy at 10:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest son has Aspergers..and this is what I did with him with both of his siblings:
    He came with me to all of my appointments and the doctor let him help with the finding the baby's heart beat and measuring my belly. We read 'sibling' books every night..When the baby starts kicking and wiggling..let him feel, encourage him to talk to your unborn child..make him a huge part of the process..picking baby stuff, to decorating..The hospital that we went to had a sibling class a couple of weeks before the babies were born and he was able to go see where I was having the baby, learn a little bit about the process..(depending on the level of autism you might want to ask if you can go several times to make sure he understands fully) and have your husband and yourself carve out something special that is just for him..a place, something you do with just that when the baby comes he feels like he still has something to hold on to and look forward to..and be consistant..

Answer by OICU812 at 7:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i know the austisim is a very difficult thing in a child. i used to work with the handicap. an idea would be to buy him a baby, let him play with, get to know it, name it etc. then after you and him have played with him and the baby, ask him how he would feel about having a real baby to play with, get to know and name? it might make it just a little easier for you.

Answer by mother_of_52008 at 5:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2008