what is a good snack idea for 17 kindergartners?

my daughter rides the bus to school in the morning. what is something she can bring that will hold from the house to school (about 30 minutes all together)?

heartsandskulls

Asked by heartsandskulls at 9:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You might try making some sort of snack/trail mix. You can choose a few items like pretzels, cereal, Teddy Grahams, cheese crackers, M&M's, mini marshmallows, gummy snacks, etc.and mix them all togther. You could send one big container with mini solo cups for serving or fill individual snack bags.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Every school year, each parent has to buy several snacks for my sons class and it gets put in the snack cabinet to be pulled out for later use.
    I like to buy the bulk sized container of animals crackers, bulk sized container of fishy crackers(the pepperridege farm cheese crackers shaped like fish),indivdual packs of oreo cookies(enough for each kid in the class)...and other items similar to that.
    If youre wanting to make something for them to use that day..
    You can never go wrong with rice crispy treats. You can use regualr rice crispies or cocoa pepples or fruity pebbles to mix it up a bit.Cut into squares and wrap individually in plastic wrap.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Are there allergy concerns in the class? Are there any restrictions regarding what you and can not send in. Is this a regular snack or a birthday celebration? Is driving her in the day she has snacks to bring an option?

A bag of pretzels that can be shared is always a good treat -assuming gluten or wheat allergies are not an issue in the classroom. If peanut/nut allergies are a concern check the packaging because some brands are *NOT* safe for peanut/nut allergic children.

Things like a box of Teddy Grahams, Cheese-Its, etc that can be transported in a single package and divided when they arrive at school is an option too. The smaller "snack packs" are bulkier to transport.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i emailed the teacher and asked if there are any allergies so that base is getting covered. as much as i would like to drive her, its not feasible at the moment we are having car issues. All these are great ideas though and i will write some of these down.
    heartsandskulls

Comment by heartsandskulls (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would stick the the basics - Goldfish, Cheese Its. If it is too complicated, most kindergarteners won't eat it, as least mine wouldn't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• cupcakes or cookies like chocolate chip. When I made the chocolate cupcakes there were some that also wanted vanilla.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Goldfish, cheez-its, pretzels, grapes, apple, teddy grahams, popcorn, animal cracker cookies,
    Stick to dry snacks that she can open on her own. If you buy snack size bags, pour the food into a container she can open.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 2:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'd say trail mix or Ant's on a log, but a bunch of children have peanut allergies these days. So maybe Chex Mix, Cheese It's, and Gold Fish crackers. Maybe animal crackers.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Our school does the snack contribution thing. Honestly, I hate all the junk food that gets sent in. It's one thing if I buy it at home because then I know what he's getting and can compensate for that later, but near as I can tell there were some weeks last year where they had cookies or Little Debbie things every day. For our turn I try to stick to things like dried fruit and homemade granola.

Talk to the teacher before you send in your own prepared packaging - some have rules that it must be pre-packaged/sealed and if you divide it up into containers on your own they won't give it to the kids.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I like the trail mix idea's. Goldfish Cheez its. The dollar store has these individually wrapped cracker sticks that you dip in cheese. I woudln't do cupcakes or anything, to messy with the icing. But Muffins sounds good.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 8:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2010