• In the Spotlight:

Who is the smartest country in the world?

http://www.iqleague.com/group.aspx?page=7&nameUrl=smartest-country-in-the-world

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:54 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If we tested our students the way other countries who are ahead of us on this list did, we would be much higher. There is a reason so many seek an American University education--we are doing something right, but the testing is all wrong.

In Japan, testing is voluntary for students and only those who intend to go to university volunteer--these are the cream of the crop. If we only tested our top students, we would have much more positive results.

Our system does have problems--beleive me I know first-hand, but our approach to assessment and evaluation is so far off from others the comparative data is skewed and inaccurate.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Not surprising. There are so many problems here. Your unpatriotic if you speak out. We are behind the times. Other countries are advancing and we are getting left behind. This was my point yesterday. We need to catch up for our children's future.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• In Japan, testing is voluntary for students and only those who intend to go to university volunteer--these are the cream of the crop. If we only tested our top students, we would have much more positive results.

Other countries also selectively weed out the "less skilled" students long before they get to what we consider high school, and in those schools, they start the equivalent school at a younger age. Some day I really would like to see a legitimate testing across the board - not for the purpose of seeing who has the best score as a country, but to globally take a look at how many people fall in each level of intelligence. Maybe someone could do that and not divide the results by nation so there's no reason to fudge the results like they do now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'm guessing it's not the US.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I can't click the link.

:(
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• wow!

Answer by older at 10:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The US is # 144

Which explains how Obama got elected.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• this really isn't a valid site... however, i doubt that the us compares all that wonderfully on a real one - our education system is piss poor compared to many other countries, and got way worse with the bush policies (go figure texas is one of the worst in the country).
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Thanks for the Teabonics link,Sweets....PRICELESS!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I saw the list... what is ironic is the smartest countries are some of the poorest ones. Go figure!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010