Why does everyone love Shriners, But dislike Masons?

Why do people like the Shriners.... But Disline the Masons?

(Sorry didnt know which category to put this in!)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL.....no, most don't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• they have secret books and rituals

All clubs have books and rituals that they follow. Some just prefer to keep it out of public knowledge since it's none of their business.

My SO is a Mason, my dad is a mason, my grandfather is a mason. I have been to some of their celebrations, they are no different than any other club with members. They have different traditions just like each religion has different traditions.

Honestly, if you knew what went on at those meetings....LOL
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think it's because the Shriners are fairly public, the Masons are very private. People are scared/hateful of things they don't understand.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I don't dislike either, but Shriners help injured children, so it makes sense that people are drawn to them and support them more. What about the Masons? I'm not clear on what their role is.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• It is just your typical case of the misinformed stereotyping based on myths and fiction.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree with most of these comments. My aunt's hubby is a mason. He comes from a family line of men who were all masons. I have heard that the help that they give and their work in the community is prefered to be kept anonymous, unpublicized. I have heard the rumors and I am not sure about any of them but I know the character or my uncle and he is a great man.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My uncle is a Mason and my son is in line to join at 18. LOL He loves the idea that most people have crazy misconceptions.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• And the Mason's are associated with the Illuminati and what-not whether or not they actually were. And, they have secret books and rituals and folks think they are hiding something. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Does anyone know that TO BE A SHRINER........ YOU ARE FIRST A MASON???!!!!!
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• My husband is a Mason & is thinking of joining of with Shriners.. But he has a few other things he is thinking about joining to...

Its just so sad! If DH wore the red fuzzy hat everyone would love & adore him.. But as long as he wears his Baseball Cap branded with a G and square & compass he gets weird looks..

Someone was commenting to him about his tattoo (he has an awesome forearm tat for our dd).. and they looked up & noticed his hat & totally stoped talking & got all weird. and then DH heard whispers (we where in line at six flags)

The G stands for GOD... the Square is to remind them that they must be "square" in their dealings with all men, i.e., to be honest. The Compass, they are taught, is to teach them to "circumscribe their passions," i.e. to control their desires and to be temperate.
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2010