Help me pick out a natural sleep aid

I'm currently TTC and MUST get off my current sleep aid due to high risk of cleft lip/palate. I prefer a tincture but if it is a pill it cannot have a powerful odor. I also have a very high tolerance to meds so it needs to be pretty strong. I don't want more chemicals like an RX. Thank you for you help :)

modaddict17

Asked by modaddict17 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Health

• do you know why you are not sleeping? dealing with your stress should help. have you tried yoga before bed?
    there was a post about how stress decreases your fertility.
    i use a self hypnotic technique to help me sleep.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• melatonin is a great natural sleep aid :)
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 10:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well, it's not a pill but babies have the right ideas, lay in bed still awake and listen to some sleepy time music. That's what we teach babies, to self soothe. I have been putting on my ipod listening to this audio book I have and falling asleep to it. I have major going to bed problems and I have been trying to fix it by trying to do what I teach the kids.
    earlybird99

Answer by earlybird99 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Do you exercise? Try working out & getting outside alot during the day..
    Ive had alot of sleep issue (but never seen dr about it).. but when i workout I can really tell a huge difference in less than a week.. Im ready to go to bed earlier & I sleep better & wake up more refreshed..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Valerian root. Formula 303 is something that helps me to relax or sleep or ease pain in my muscles, and it's mostly valerian root. It's very calming. http://www.amazon.com/Formula-Maximum-Strength-Natural-Relaxant-250/dp/B0016KX9SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1281710220&sr=8-1

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Avoid hormones like melatonin.
    Chamomile tea will help you relax (and is great for morning sickness)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I've been on this Rx for many years and my body doesn't know how to shut itself down. I've tried to get off of it but after a week of getting a few hours of light sleep a night I can't function. I can be extremely tired and not sleep.
    I do exercise and eat right and all that.
    modaddict17

Comment by modaddict17 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i've tried melatonin and valerian root before but i'm not sure if they are safe to use during pregnancy or not (just because something is natural doesn't mean its safe). when i took melatonin it made me have night sweats so I stopped taking it.
    One thing that did work for me was light therapy- they try and reset your internal clock by having you sit under a bright lamp for a certain amount of time first thing every morning and have you sleep in a very dark room.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I looked at the link from Amazon. It says I cannot take while pregnant :( But thanks anyway. I think I'll go to the natural food store this weekend and see if they can suggest anything.

I like the ideas of yoga and relaxation too.
    modaddict17

Comment by modaddict17 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• at a health store, they will suggest melatonin, valerian root and passion flower.
    maybe even camomile tea or calmes forte.

if you take those in order to wean off your meds, that might help.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 11:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2010