How can I get my ex to take his son to daycare at a decent time in the mornings?

My ex takes his son to daycare some weeks once a week and other weeks twice a week but he won't do it before 11 or 12. My son then misses all the interaction and schooling in the morning. My ex's response is that it's his time and he pays for the care so he can take him whenever he wants. He gives me child support so then I pay for what ever my son needs. He doesn't believe that the daycare teaches him anything and that it's just a babysitting place. Of course he won't check out the school and the postings of my son's curriculum and meet is teacher. My son will be starting VPK next year and he says he will keep him out one day a week for his time. Should I just go to the courts to nip this in the bud now?

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I have plenty of experience with this. I am a stay at home daycare provider and can see if from both points of view.
    First- of course the learning time would be great for him and I am sure the daycare misses him during that time. I see your point of view about wanting him there.

Second- it's his time with his son too. You both made this child and whether you like it or not, he does have the right to keep him home if he is able to stay with him.

I know of one family in particular right now that reminds me of your situation. Mom drops off child in the morning when she works and the dad picks him up for 3 hours during the daytime. Yes he misses all the prime time, but he NEEDS to spend some time with his dad too.
    We have the rest of our life to learn and once he's in school then your ex will have to deal with the school systems if he doesn't bring your son on time.
    gigs5liz

Answer by gigs5liz at 9:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Right now, its not hurting him to not go to daycare while he is with his dad. Next year you will have to make some sort of deal with him because he needs to go school and PK is preparing him for school. Try and compromise with him giving him some other time other than when he is in school. At least he wants to spend time with him though a lot of noncustodial parents just don't care.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2008