Very frustrated with my In-laws!!! (Vent)

My Df was on his parents insurance for a little over a year. They are older and get the senior citizen discount so their insurance isnt that much. They told us we had to pay about $40 a month. Well last year we got rearended and the insurance classified it as a total and gave us a check, which his parents kept because they put our vehicle in their name, at this point he wasnt on their insurance just our car was. The check was for $750, which covered basically all of our insurance, thats why we let them have the check. Well we had another vehicle and we just recently took it to the junk yard, for numerous reasons. They said that they needed to pay their car insurance or it will be shut off, the amount was $170. My df said he'd give them $100 but his dad said he wanted more. Needless to say my df paid the whole thing. His father told him he'd pay him back on the 12 when he gets his check, and yesterday (continued)

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 10:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• when my df texted his dad to see if he got his check and if he was going to pay him back, we needed the money to pay our rent, he said that the check was already spent. No apology or anything! I am completely discusted (sp) with them at the moment, and so is df. We now cannot pay rent until next week and it will leave us flat broke! His parents seem to think we owe them so much for car insurance but never think about the money they took from the accident! I just dont know what to do!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Id say get over it and get your own insurance policy. Stop dealing with theirs.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Lesson learned and it was learned the hard way.
    Get your own insurance policy and cars.
    They can not be trusted to be honorable.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I agree with aqua _jen
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• we have decided to do that, its just the down payment that we are struggling with.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I'm sorry that is really unfair, I thought parents help their kids not the other way around. My in- laws are a huge source of conflict between my husband and I and it's usually about money (he works for them, but they pay what they want and when they want there is no consistency and I can't plan ahead, almost divorce status). You should let this time go, separate the insurance, and do everything on your own. Things like this only seem to get worse. The less they have over your head the more it has to be about relationship. Good luck.
    evelynolivesmom

Answer by evelynolivesmom at 10:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• If these are in-laws I don't understand why you are calling your husband df. Dear friend? Anyway, it sounds like you have been commiting insurance fraud. You don't know what to do. Get your own car insurance.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• to Gaill. He isnt my husband we are engaged but I consider his family my inlaws, its just easier to speak of them that way. And its not insurance fraud to put your child on your insurance policy! The part that makes me soo mad is that his parents know we are in a tight bind for money. We have two kids and I am 37 weeks pregnant and need all the money that df earns, but they kep bumming off us. Just last week he had to buy their 4 dogs food because they ran out and didnt have the money.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You need to stop any financial interaction with his parents. It sounds like you're both struggling, best to keep money out of your relationship if you intend to have a relationship with them at all.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• You might want to shop around. I've never had a car insurance where I had to make a downpayment. Also, it's best to get things in writing, even with family, so things like this don't happen.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2010