whats the difference of "searches" and "websites"?

a new computer program asked me to open up 3 websites which I typed in Cafemom, Yahoo, and facebook into google bar. Then computer asked me to open up 3 searches. I thought I did that? I'm confused what is the difference?

bmwlover

Asked by bmwlover at 10:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in About CafeMom

• A search engine is a website, but generally speaking, a seach engine wouldn't normally provide answers straight away. You enter a search term and it brings up a number of pages which it thinks are applicable to your search terms.

Search engines crawl through websites using computers to make an electronic copy of website (Also known as cache).
    Well, a website is something you already know how to get on and where to go, which is typing the URL into the little space provided. A search engine helps you find an appropriate website for something you are looking for but don't know the URL but still need to find what you are looking for. After you type it into a search engine a bunch of URLs will pop up and you click on the 1 you think is most helpful.
    According to Wiki Answers
    bmwlover

Comment by bmwlover (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• What type of program is this? I've never heard of anything that would ask those questions.

Yahoo qualifies as a search engine, but FB and CM do not.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would suggest asking this in the computer moms group if you can't get an answer. They way I see it, a website has a specific address on the internet. A search would keywords you would use to pull up websites. Like the PP said without knowing which program you are using I can't be much more help.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010