@ 12 mo.'s weaning from formula to whole milk...

how is this done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All I did was stop formula the day before they turned 1 years old.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• When I ran out of when I ran out of formula, he was 14 months old. I just put milk in his sippy instead of formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Also to add I did not do whole milk, I did 2%.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• slowly.. first day do 3/4 formula to milk 2nd day 1/2 and 1/2 and third day all milk(as long as no reactions to the change if there is stick to the 3/4 formula to 1/4 milk till she adjusts)
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 10:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I did it a bit differently. I never had given my son his formula in his sippy cup. I had only given him water or juice in his cup. At about 12 months, I put milk in it for one time a day at snack. Then a few days later, I gave him his cup with milk at dinner, then a few days later, at lunch..then again a few days later, at breakfast. I made a more gradual change because my older son was allergic to milk and I wanted to make sure that this one didn't have any issues. He's been fine.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I switched gradually. 1/4 bottle milk 3/4 bottle formula for a few days. 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days. 3/4 milk 1/4 formula for a few days. The whole thing took about a week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• why not just water?

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Children do not need to drink cow's milk at all. Cow's milk formula was developed to keep babies alive that weren't human milk fed. After 12 mo children do not need the milk of any other mammal. Milk can cause constipation, obesity, other digestive problems, and other health problems. Two toddler servings of milk products is what is usually recommended if you include milk products in your child's diet. Since children like so many foods with milk in them they usually get plenty from their food.

At 12 mo if a child is is formula fed the formula can be reduced and stopped. Cow's milk is good for baby cows, not so good for humans. In most of the world people don't drink milk. Breastfeeding is recommended for at least 2 years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• if you start a fourth of milk to three fourth formula then in a few days go half in half then a few days one fourth formula to three fourth milk. it can be done in a week if the baby has no troubles. but if little one does see teh doctor about it. good luck!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• what i did with my son was use the first week that he turned one i would give him a bottle of whole milk and then one bottle of formula. i was intending to use the whole week and just gradually take one bottle formula less a day, but i didnt have to my son loved the whole milk. so i just have him the whole milk i only did the other for like 2 days.
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2010