how can I get my 8 month old to eat baby food and cereal without gaging and throwing up?

my lo is almost 8 months old and gags on everything i give her, and most the time ends up throwing it up. We tried oatmeal cereal, rice, applesauce, peaches, pears, bananas, and sweet potatoes. Gags everytime! I am at a loss. I know nurtionally she doesn't need it. However, I would like to beable to go for more then 1 1/2 hours w/o BF her. She will not take a bottle, and for some reason I can't pump...Please HELP!!! Thank you!

momtoariana617

Asked by momtoariana617 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby might have a problem with her tongue. If she isn't able to "mush" the food between her tongue and the roof of her mouth correctly, she may not be able to swallow correctly. I would definately bring this issue up with your physician. My neice (I do home daycare and watch her daily) is 8 months old and is already eating the 3rd foods from Gerber and other foods that she feeds herself. At first, when we gave her the 3rd foods with larger chunks she gagged a little bit too, but never threw up. Now she knows how to use her tongue to mush the larger pieces. But like I said, check with your physician.
    gigs5liz

Answer by gigs5liz at 8:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• What I do with my son when he does that is just add a lttle of formula or breast milk into it. he seems to do fine with it because it gives it some what of a taste he's more use to.
    sdierker

Answer by sdierker at 9:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Your baby might not be quite ready for solids yet. Some babies who are prone to food allergies may refuse solids until 8-9 months or even longer. Babies who are slow to teethe and babies who have food sensitivities are often the ones who are slower to begin eating solids. This "slowness" may be their bodies' way of protecting them until the digestive system is more ready to accept new foods.

Some babies never take "baby food" from a spoon. Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Try different textures-crunchy baby biscuits, zwieback toast, etc. Keep an eye out for sensory issues also, maybe it's that. Those can be helped w/ occupational therapy, but you're no where near ready to worry about that yet.
    Anonymous

• make the cereal more soupy. It may be to thick. Also try different kind of spoons. My daughter had a hard time but i found some parent choice spoons at walmart that had temperater thing to tell if food was to hot. They were the only ones she would eat with in the beginning.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 11:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I'm def not a pro at this cause my son's 8 months old but whenever he doesn't like the taste of something he spit it out or would gag on it. Honestly, i had a hard time feeding him baby food because he didn't like it. I even went as far as shaking it up in his bottle (which his Dr. said was a big NO-NO) I wanted to give up but then was told to try and puree fresh fruits and any dinner that I ate. He LOVES it.
    philipsmommy125

Answer by philipsmommy125 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Just back off; baby's not ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree.. baby is not ready. I have had 9 kids and two of them were not ready for food before 10 months. Don't push.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 10:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2008