Medical Assistant Accredidation?

Hi there! Im looking to start school soon to become a Medical Assistant. There are a few schools aroound here I can choose from that offer that. I have found that they all differ in the length of the program, and while trying to research last night I found a lot of people saying that they wish they had gone to a school that was accredited so when they moved it would still count or something? So I'm planning on calling all the schools today, but Im not sure what exactly Accredidations Im supposed to be asking for?!? Sorry, I'm just wanting to make sure I make my money count with the school I choose!!

23wkrmommy

Asked by 23wkrmommy at 10:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• yes- be very careful of those schools- I was going to go for this in Utah , but after I
    did a bunch of research found only 2 school with proper accreditadation to be able to get certified.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Both the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) accredit programs in medical assisting. In 2005, there were over 500 medical assisting programs accredited by CAAHEP and about 170 accredited by ABHES. The Committee on Accreditation for Ophthalmic Medical Personnel approved 17 programs in ophthalmic medical assisting and 2 programs in ophthalmic clinical assisting.

from: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070813185610AAHcilO

If I remember right these are the 2 you are looking for. Do not let a school tell you that they have what you need- do the reasearch!

I had a gorgeous brand new school wanting me to go there and after researching them they did not have either one of those...they kept calling and trying but i told them I would not attend their school.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Ah Im in Utah as well (Orem), what schools did you find that were ok?
    23wkrmommy

Comment by 23wkrmommy (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• A state or private college or university would be accredited. It's some of the schools you see advertised online and on TV that aren't. An accredited school means your credits will transfer and it looks better on a resume. All you need to do is ask, "Are you an accredited school?" There aren't different kinds. And if they can't answer you, then they probably aren't.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2010