Does anyone know about senorineural hearing loss? I'm trying to find out if there are any experiments out there to cure this.

I check in regularly with my ENT to see if there is any new medical preocedures to help this hearing loss. I've done some research and know there are countries ahead with experiments. Has anyone heard anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Health

• did u find any place where they can cure loss,if yes plse let me know b/c i have a same qs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i have heard in germany they have v.good Drs..
    ann2000

Answer by ann2000 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• be for you run off to another country ask your docter a bout the baha implant my 7yr old lost all her hearing in her left ear so they want to do a implante look up the website for baha implant to give you more info but you should ask your ent docter good luck
    Anonymous

• Hi there. I am going to try and answer this the best that I can. Sensorineural Hearing Loss In sensorineural hearing loss, the damage lies in the inner ear, the acoustic nerve, or both. Most physicians call this condition "nerve deafness." The cochlea has approximately 30,000 hearing nerve endings (hair cells). The hair cells in the large end of the cochlea respond to very high-pitched sounds, and those in the small end (and throughout much of the rest of the cochlea) respond to low-pitched sounds. These hair cells, and the nerve that connects them to the brain, are susceptible to damage from a variety of causes. •The term "sensory" hearing loss is applied when the damage is in the inner ear. Common synonyms are "cochlear" or "inner-ear" hearing loss. •"Neural" hearing loss is the correct term to use when the damage is in the acoustic nerve, anywhere between its fibers at the base of the hair cells

MommyofaCIkid

Answer by MommyofaCIkid at 9:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• and the relay stations in the brain (the auditory nuclei). Other common names for this type of loss are "nerve deafness" and "retrocochlear" hearing loss.

Nice To Know:

Sensorineural hearing loss is one of the most challenging problems in medicine. A large variety of hearing impairments fall under this category. Although the chances for restoring a sensorineural hearing loss are slim, a small number of cases can be treated, and some people experience dramatic improvements as a result. However, a great need for further research in this area still exists.

I will say this: there is amazing technology that's available to help children and adults with this type of hearing loss. Cochlear implants allow people to with hearing loss to hear at normal speech range who are profoundly deaf, it truly is amazing technology.
    MommyofaCIkid

Answer by MommyofaCIkid at 9:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• they are working on hair cell regeneration in guinea pigs. no cure yet
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 3:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• There is still no update on the experiments on hair cell regeneration. Hearing aids can be one of the methods for treating sensorineural hearing loss and can significantly improve hearing abilities.

ruby.yeager

Answer by ruby.yeager at 7:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2012