Question for Christians (although anyone else can answer)

I was wondering what Christians felt about the book, "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. It's supposed to be the story of the women surrounding Jacob (his wives, Leah and Rachel, and his daughter Dinah). My mom asked me to read it and I came away with some very specific thoughts but I was wondering if it "spoke" differently to women of faith.

Myantek

Asked by Myantek at 9:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Geesh anonymous, she's just asking an intelligent question about a book......don't like books anon?

Sorry OP I have not seen or read it...I just had to defend you....
    Anonymous

• I read that book! I am a Christian and I loved it. It was a beautiful story. It was a while ago, but I don't remember reading anything specific that bothered me. Did you have a different reaction? I didn't go in reading it as true history, I took it as fiction, maybe based on facts.
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I'm an Atheist, and I read the Red Tent a few years ago. It is actually one of my top ten favorite books. I love it. Gorgeously written, excellent imagery, somewhat historically accurate. I rarely cry, and I cried threw most of it. Beautiful story. I read a review somewhere that said if the bible had been written by women, it would have been written like that.

To the first anon poster... real mature. Some people enjoy having discussions about books.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 9:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• To Anon poster #1 - I was curious. It was clearly a book written for people who at least a passing knowledge of the Bible. I read the book and I hated it. I was wondering if people who believe the Bible saw something different in it than I did.

preshies5 - Basically, I really didn't like that all the actions the women took were noble but all the actions the males took were flawed. There really weren't any male characters that had redeeming qualities and I dislike that sort of writing.

Also, since I view the Bible as classic literature, I was disappointed that she took the liberties with the story that she did. I thought it would have made a much more interesting tale if it had stuck to the orignal "Dinah was raped" then try to change it into love and a chance for Jacob to be a coward.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I read the book, and I am a Christian. I didn't really go into thinking it was going to be based on fact. I thought it was a great story and enjoyed it. There were a few times when I would start to think, "Wait - this isn't biblicaly accurate..." but just reminded myself that it was just a story. I guess I would have had a problem if the author were trying to push it as fact, but I didn't get that. What I got was that this author was obviously familiar with that story in the Old Testament, and decided to use it as a basis for a fictional love story. Yes, she did take some liberties, but for me it still made a great story. I can see how it could bother some readers though, especially when viewing it from a biblical perspective.
    BabyBumbleBee

Answer by BabyBumbleBee at 4:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Oh my gosh - I loved that book! I don't think I've run across anyone else who has read it, sad to say.
    From a spiritual standpoint though, I guess I'm neutral. It's kinda like the whole "Was Jesus married?" debate. I don't know - it's possible. The same with the religious practices discussed in this book. Is it historically accurate? I don't know - it's possible.
    I tend to look at questions like that thru a filter of "Is this a salvation issue?" If the answer is yes, I'll pick at it & study & meditate on it till I come up with an answer. If the answer is no, LOL, I'll probably pick at it & study & meditate on it - but if I don't come up with an answer I'm not going to beat myself (or anyone else) up over it.
    AFrayedKnott

Answer by AFrayedKnott at 12:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'm with Babybumblebee...I enjoyed it as I would enjoy any novel. I know what I believe, and am firm and secure with it. I would draw the line at blasphemous type things, and I didn't see that. It WAS a long time ago that I read it-about 6 years I think. I really didn't notice the lesser role of the males. Since it was a book about women, from their perspective, it didn't strike me as unusual that the male characters were portrayed as they were. I can't say much more, since it was so long ago, but it's interesting to hear another perspective.
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2008