How do you react if a child in your kids school gives your kids more truth than you are ready to give them?

My children are being taught all the proper names for body parts, as well as the basics about grown up kisses and touches & puberty (both boys and girls). They are also not being raised Christian (we are in a very Christian area) and are being taught the truth about Santa & the Easter Bunny. And although we have never actually "taught" them this, my son has already told another child that "Jesus is dead"

Now, I do not believe in sugar coating or down playing the truth simply because they are children, nor do I believe in telling my kids things which aren't true. So they tend to have more info than other kids. My mother was the same way. It's one of the few things we agree on.

Now, I remember my mom dealing with drama from other parents - which I can handle. But I also remember the parents of OTHER kids having nasty things to say about and to us (the kids).

How do/will you handle this stuff?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't care. Stuff like that leads to better convos and discussions with my own child. LOL I don't censor my kid anyway, but, he is taught to keep his mouth shut unless someone is giving dangerous info. Like sexwise.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• well dont sugar coat it but maybe dont tell them exact truth either. give them as much truth as they need.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• i think, the best you can do is roll with it. you will never have full control over your life, let alone the life of your kids. it really sounds like you have a good handle on it already.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I figure there isn' anything you can do... it's school and they're kids. You can't censor life and life happens every time they turn around! If my kids come home freaking about something they learn at school, whether it be from the school itself or another child then I will have to face facts and tell them my side of it. I don't raise my kids to believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa, lol... my daughter asked me about Santa and I told her the real story of st. Nicholas, so she asked me (age 3) "Then who leaves the presents under the tree?" I told her the truth, "Mommy and daddy do baby." She wasn't crushed like parents must think they will be! She just smiled and said "Oh! Okay!" And went on about her day! lol... I don't know why people are so scaed to tell their kids the truth anyhow.
    I got off on a rant there, sorry.
    I would just tell them the truth about what new thing they have learned. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I guess my question is how do you react towards the children who have this information? I remember being told really nasty things by PARENTS because I didn't believe in Santa. One parent even called CPS (who obviously didn't care) because she felt that telling your kids there was no Santa was abuse...

I guess more than anything I'm just trying to wrap my head around what I can look forward too...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• We've taken a very similar approach with our kids and I can tell you, people will disagree and they will say things to your children. It's important to talk it through with them when it does happen so that they understand what all the fuss is about. We enforced from an early age that it's important to respect other people's beliefs and that has helped our older children avoid a lot of conflict involving this matter. In the end, they enjoy being "in" on the adult secrets of life and take responsibility in protecting such information from the "babies," as they call them.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• so really, other kids will tellyour kids about sex, and your kids will tell others about jesus and santa : )
    like braden said, it will lead to good conversations at home : )
    my kids would tell your that milk is not good for you : )
    we all have different belief systems. even if you homeschooled, your children would be exposed to beliefs that are not your own. we teach our children what we believe and why. it is sad each time a little innocence is gone.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• LOL...my kid is the one with the info. So, I can't help on that part. I do know that where I live..EVERYONE is Baptist, I swear. And when my child said he was not a churchgoer and was Agnostic bordering on Atheist with some Satanist thrown in...he got kids tattletelling on him that he "didn't believe in God". LOL Some teachers made it a tad hard on him, but, he prevailed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I dunno, I think there is always going to be SOME kind of drama, if it isn't related to this, it will be something else. I know you are good with what you believe nd if a parent has an issue with it , tell them what you told us-that you don't lie to your kids and whatnot
    If there is a problem it would really be on them

When my daughter was like 11 she knew a lot more about sex and the realities of that than most of the kids her age. One of her friends who was a boy a year or so older than her would have her over a lot. His mother was horrified that she knew what she knew and called me telling me about how her sons should absolutely NOT have that kind of information and what a horrible mom I was blah blah blah, it was a lot of drama but I felt like she was in denial of the fact that her kids were growing up and needed o know things like that.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Actually, happy, I think my kids will be the ones covering sex too! lol! We started our sex ed very early!

I'm not really worried about the other kids, because generally, children are more accepting than adults. But what about the parents, and how they treat my kids... I guess I have no issue with them coming to ME, but what about the abuse which I see coming from adults to my kids? That's really my concern more than anything.

I WANT my children to be exposed to different beliefs, and do my best to teach them everything... My DH is Christian. But I'm afraid that because most other parents (at least here) tend to sugar coat, that the other parents could be abusive (at least verbally) towards my kids...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2010