Okay, lets reword...

My kids are being raised w/o ANY sugar coating or "white lies" in their life. However, we live in a very conservative area and have already had an issue with my oldest informing other children about what he knows.

Now, I know once they start school the other kids will have their own views and whatnot, and honestly, I'm not really worried about what they learn from other kids. Kids tend to be more accepting so I'm not to worried about their reaction to things my kids say at all... Nor am I worried about what happens when the parents call me (which I know will happen).

HOWEVER, what does worry me is how the PARENTS will treat my kids. And I'm wondering how I should prepare them, and myself, for that... I remember being a kid (1st & 2nd grade) and being told that I was a "bad kid" and I "better stay away" from other kids because our beliefs were different. How do I prepare for this?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I guess it depends on what kind of "truths" you're talking about. It's hard to make suggestions when one doesn't know the content of the information you are afraid your children may talk about.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• you are assuming your children will be punished for your beliefs? you could tell them not to tell other kids there is no santa...let them learn it from somewhere else. you could tell your kids to tell others about jesus when they are asked about him. if your kids want to teach others about jesus, they can invite them to church or vbs.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• From my personal experience. Raising a "different' kid.. lol

There is no real way to prepare them for it. All you can do is : let them know that there maybe other kids that treat them differently for who and what they are... and reassure them that there is NOTHING wrong with them, that they are just fine the way they are they have just been taught/raised differently than these other kids.

Being Sikh, wearing his turban everyday..etc.. My son was treated pretty badly by some kids, and some parents during his elementary school years. Middle school to Jr High was really really really rough on him. That was the time of 9/11 and afterwords. Life was hell for him some days, some kids and some parents were brutally cruel and mean to him. He survived. High School, though some still treated him badly based upon their own ignorance, it wasn't so bad for him. He learned how to keep it all in perspective.

COnt.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• like i said in the last question, i think you should try and tell your kids not to share too much of the information they know with other kids and besides that, just tell your kids the truth. that not everybody in this world has the same beliefs and sometimes people can get upset with others beliefs but that they shouldnt, and they shouldnt let it bother them if someone else is upset with there beliefs..etc
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:36 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• LOL

Teach them, that although they know things, other kids don't and their parent don't want them to know. Then, tell them that although you want them to be proud of who they are and what they know, somethings are better left at home. That not all kids are raised like them and not all people believe like them....and those people may have a hard time with those things. So, Until high school, they should be taught to keep zipped about certain things and brush certain subjects over. Gloss things to make others happy. Only because of the treatment which comes with the territory. Give them other outlets and platforms to be outgoing and have free speech and not feel censored..that way, they won't feel muffled their whole lives. Then, once high school hits, most kids and teachers are prepared to handle them. As bad as it sounds...I had to do this with my kid. And, he chose to be a loud mouth in middle school. ~CONT~
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:36 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• And, it affected his school because of it. Now, he is in high school....maybe I can relax now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I would guess that you already have prepared them...probably more than you realize,mom. It sounds like you've been raising them in a way where they could "fend" for themselves,even toward an adult, if need be.
    As long as they feel secure in who they are and are well adjusted, things like that won't bother them. They will be proud of thier differences.
    Just make them aware that if any adult or child crosses a line and goes to far with the comments..like it turns into bullying and such that they should not be worried to come to you about it and you just take it from there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• There are some kids and some parents who will just be assholes to kids that are different from them. Regardless of how they are different: looks, beliefs, etc....

The best we can do for our kids. Is let them know this reality of life. but also let them know that another reality of life is that they get to decide how they will respond/react to these people. And in that they have the choice of : being hurt, being angry, or seeing those people for who and what they are and understanding that it's usually ingnorance that makes them that way. And that some of those kids will eventually grow out of it. Some won't. Our kids who are different, just have to learn to roll with the punches (so to speak) and still be proud of who/what they are , what they believe..etc..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Well, when I say Truths... I'm meaning we don't shelter them from anything... they know Santa isn't real, they know there is no easter bunny, they know about sex, puberty and other things that parents tend to try and shelter their kids from.

And happy, the LAST thing my kids will be telling others about is Jesus... They group him in with Santa as "a guy in a book" because we aren't Christian. So it will be the other way around on that... Which is okay...

What ISN'T okay, is when parents chime in with the "you're a bad kid" crap... That's really more what I'm worried about. I do tend to tell my kids not to correct others, but I'm sure that as kids do, they will express what they believe to be right... So I'm just trying to prepare me and them...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think the best you can do is teach your kids to know that we all have different oppinions and are each entitled to them. It is not anyones place to shove Jesus...or the idea that there is no Jesus down anyones throat. You have your ideas about religion and or creation and I have mine. This does not mean that we have the right to treat each other poorly. I think agreeing to disagree is the best you can do. Ignorance is rampant and if an adult treats a child poorly that is wrong period! They are children. As long as your kids aren't out on some crusade to sway the religious beliefs of others I think they should get along ok. Everyone has their own ideas. I don't feel the need to mistreat a child just because the home in which they are raised is unlike my own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2010