what do you think of this? highschool valedictorian speaks against schooling during speech?

Wasn't 100% sure where to put this. Lol figured debate would be best?
I can't paste the whole article, but you can follow this link. Its kinda a long read, but I found it highly interesting. Looking for other opinions :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/212383-Valedictorian-Speaks-Out-Against-Schooling-in-Graduation-Speech

ToriBabe1221

Asked by ToriBabe1221 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I think it's true, while not appropriate for a graduation speech though
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 11:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The speech will look great on her college app package. (call me a cynic, but I find the speech as calculated as her work ethic through school)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Why do you feel its not appropriate for a graduation speech?
    ToriBabe1221

Comment by ToriBabe1221 (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• yep, true but not what he should have given the speech about.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I watched it a while back and I think it is brilliant. She is telling the truth and that is why you see the adults (teachers) squirming in the back there. They know it's true. This is not to say that all educators have failed, but the every idea of the institution of school should be rethought and redesigned, I think.

This professor agrees with her:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 11:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The speech was not really against education--it was telling everyone that it is what you do with education that makes a differnece. In other words, don't just have a goal of passing tests and getting good grades...have a goal that includes really thinking about what is presented in classrooms and in textbooks...don't just memorize or learn what is in your class notes. THINK and apply what you learn in your future.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• WOW one more reason I am glad I am pulling my dd out of school and homeschooling her instead this year!! and DS too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I loved that. Maybe it will help spark a change....or not.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• The education is there for anyone who really wants to learn. It is every student's responsibility. Don't blame the schools.
    And don't think Homeschooling will solve everything. That is a simplistic and isolationist way of thinking.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2010